2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New to fourms with some questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 11:55 PM
COL
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to fourms with some questions

Hi all, I am new to the fourms and had a few questions. First I should start and tell you my ride. I have a 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 SLT Laramie SPORT with fully loaded with the 360ci Magnum engine. I love my truck. Its black and in really good shape. I will have to post some pictures some time. My question is with the Infinity Audio. I recently wrecked one of my speakers when tearing my door apart. I was really happy with the sound that came out of them, so I kind of wanted to stick with them. I went to my local salvage yard and found no rams with infinity audio, but i found a Jeep Grand Cherokee with infinity audio. They are both 6x9 in the front doors. I need to replace my passenger door speaker, and got the one out of the drivers door of the Jeep. Will these speakers work for me just plug and play? I dont want to cut or splice my factory harness in my truck. any help would be great!

Old 03-27-2012, 12:06 AM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can't really tell without looking. I would think the connectors are the same. Did you look at them?

Old 03-27-2012, 07:07 AM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

While the infinity speakers were great back when the truck first came out, they are getting old.

A good set of aftermarket speakers wouldn't run you too much money and you would get better quality.

Old 03-27-2012, 07:13 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

they might work. look and see if they both have the on-board amps attached. your problem might be a bad amp, and not a bad speaker.

see the AV subforum for lots of info.
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/audio-v...-speakers.html

Old 03-27-2012, 10:15 AM
COL
Rookie

I figured I would give it a try, I only paid $5 for the new speaker from my local salvage yard. I will have to pull my door pannel off and see. Does anybody know if the drivers side and passenger side connectors are the same?

Old 03-27-2012, 10:16 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Should be exactly the same, aside from the color of the wires.

Old 03-27-2012, 10:21 AM
COL
Rookie

Ok thanks. Hopefully Jeep used the same connectors as well!

Old 03-27-2012, 12:24 PM
COL
Rookie

I pulled my door panned off and took the speaker out. I have 4 wires running to the factory amp mounted to the speaker, then two coming outbid the other side. No connectors it is just soldered from the factory to the amp and to the speakers. So I guess the jeep speaker won't work. So now's my next question. What kind of speakers are recommended to replace the stock ones, will I need new tweaters (I assume mine are wore out by now too) how do u wire the new ones in (because there is 4 wires going to it) and am I going yo have to amp my new speakers to get good sound? I do have a aftermarket deck already installed.

Quick Reply: New to fourms with some questions