2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Probably tradin' in the Dodge

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 11:07 AM
Crackshot
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2x1972
Especially once you start tuning
That is another reason why I decided on the manual transmission in case I decide to tune it down the road.

Been reading up and hands down the Cummins easily surpasses the Duramaxes.

I am actually happy to stick with Dodge because you can actually get to things when you have to replace parts or do maintenance.

Old 04-13-2012, 11:09 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,266 Likes on 3,013 Posts

I remember the days when I could look under the hood, and actually SEE the parts I wanted to work on....... then came the 70's and 80's, and the engine was hidden under a bag of snakes. (and the rubber hose industry was making TONS of money....) Now, instead of rubber hose, we have wiring harnesses.

Old 04-13-2012, 01:48 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

And plastic.

Old 04-13-2012, 01:53 PM
mccart
Veteran

Dont go over the top with mods because itll just lead to more problems. Definitely on a high mileage motor. My buddy has a 02 24v 6 speed that had 280k on the motor he paid $10k for.He put water meth $400, quadzilla chip $499, cai $200 and a cfm+ intake $500.He blew a head gasket so he had the head machined and fire ringed $600, head studs $500. Then a month later he blew another head gasket, had a bad one. So we replaced it again and a week later he snapped a wrist pin and spun a main bearing. 160k mile replacement motor $1500.

To sum it up hes 15 grand into a truck thats worth about 8 or 9.

Old 04-13-2012, 02:38 PM
Crackshot
Professional

Originally Posted by mccart
Dont go over the top with mods because itll just lead to more problems. Definitely on a high mileage motor. My buddy has a 02 24v 6 speed that had 280k on the motor he paid $10k for.He put water meth $400, quadzilla chip $499, cai $200 and a cfm+ intake $500.He blew a head gasket so he had the head machined and fire ringed $600, head studs $500. Then a month later he blew another head gasket, had a bad one. So we replaced it again and a week later he snapped a wrist pin and spun a main bearing. 160k mile replacement motor $1500.

To sum it up hes 15 grand into a truck thats worth about 8 or 9.
To be honest, I probably won't mod it because those cummins generate a lot of power stock.
I need this truck to be dependable and last!

Old 04-13-2012, 02:40 PM
cyclone429
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2x1972
Don't let them swindle you! And get a Cummins.
The old 5.9 CTD were solid, the new 6.7 Im not sold on, the weekest link in a HD pick up really is the Name dodge, thankfuly the aftermarket has parts to rebuild weak and failing mopar componants.

Sad reality is all HD trucks from my Dodge to a Ford and GM duramax will incure major expenses down the road when the warenty is over.

One Major item to look at with a 3rd gen Dodge solid axle front end is the drag link, the ball joint inside will dry out ( constant need of greae ) and when it goes, pop gos your stearing control.

Old 04-13-2012, 03:54 PM
Crackshot
Professional

Originally Posted by cyclone429
The old 5.9 CTD were solid, the new 6.7 Im not sold on, the weekest link in a HD pick up really is the Name dodge, thankfuly the aftermarket has parts to rebuild weak and failing mopar componants.

Sad reality is all HD trucks from my Dodge to a Ford and GM duramax will incure major expenses down the road when the warenty is over.

One Major item to look at with a 3rd gen Dodge solid axle front end is the drag link, the ball joint inside will dry out ( constant need of greae ) and when it goes, pop gos your stearing control.
I think I am going to try and stick with a 2nd gen.
The good thing of replacing Dodge with Dodge, Is I know what to look for replacing my drag link and track bar 3 years ago.
Another good thing is Dodges sit high off the ground so I want to see the look on the sales person face when I go back to my car and return with my creeper to look over the whole chassis.
Could provide to be a valuable bargaining chip when negotiating price!

Old 05-04-2012, 10:15 AM
cyclone429
Record Breaker

Dodge is pretty week in the front steering, suspenssion area, as evidant with my right drag link falling off. I can't say brand A is going to be better, but rust assured my rebuilt 06 2500 is built better than the oem crap on the new Dodge HD trucks.

Old 05-04-2012, 01:33 PM
stewie01
Legend

Originally Posted by cyclone429

I had just gotten a new set of tires, brakes, ball joints, and an alignment on my old '91 S10 Blazer, going to work one day and all of a sudden the SUV rides into the opposite lane (lucky it was a back road, no oncoming traffic) I pull into work, get out see the passenger side wheel caved in, the upper A arm broke....

Damn rust.....

Old 05-04-2012, 06:18 PM
4HoNdaDODGE
Professional

My buddy has a bad *** cummins.. 12 valve 5 sppeed. Runs about 55 60 pounds

Quick Reply: Probably tradin' in the Dodge