2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Manual trans problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 01:24 PM
Racer26
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
If you can, inspect your clutch, and see how much is left. (how many miles on the current clutch??)

Possible that hydraulic system is failing, allowing pressure to bleed past the seals on one of the cylinders, see any leaks at all?
I'm not sure how many miles are on the clutch, as I got the truck with 90,000 miles. I will try to inspect it, however, it might be time to replace it anyway. Would there be any benefit of going to a double disk clutch?

I don't see any leaks, but I haven't looked too closely. I'm thinking if I can't find anything, I should just replace the master and slave cylinder to rule those out, and then go from there.

I don't want to do any further damage to the transmission; I just hope I don't have to replace everything as I'm hoping to get a different truck in the next few months.

Old 05-17-2012, 04:26 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,268 Likes on 3,015 Posts

I think its more likely to be a hydraulic problem, than a clutch problem... generally, worn clutches slip, not refuse to release......

Old 05-31-2012, 04:48 PM
Racer26
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So replacing both the master and slave cylinder should take care of my problem? The truck shifts nearly perfectly after it has sat for a few days, and then progressively gets worse the more it is driven in a given period.

Also, how difficult is it to replace the master and slave cylinder?

Quick Reply: Manual trans problems