2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

5.9 Rebuild on the cheap: Now Just Empty Every Pocket build.

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 01:38 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

+2 on leave off the heat shields. they get full of dirt and contribute to cross threading.

Old 05-20-2013, 04:41 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 310 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by Gaius
I second AtomicDog. My first set of MSD Streetwires (inexpensive) would actually arc to them. I removed them and now have since swapped to a nice set of Taylors.

On the 5.2 I got for my Wagoneer, they were full of dried mud. Had to scrape and vacuum out the holes before I could remove the plugs themselves.
+1 on the Taylor Wires - they have been a great product for me.

As for the heat shields, my truck was a former snow plow truck. The heat shields allowed salt and dirt to accumulate around the plugs, then major rust - it was so bad around the rearmost plugs, it caused me to have to swap the motor, since a couple of the plugs had cracked and it was near impossible to remove three of the plugs out of the original motor..

Old 05-20-2013, 06:19 PM
Wildman4x4nut
Record Breaker
Received 154 Likes on 117 Posts

Ok let me see if I got this right................Don't use the spark plug heat shields??? I will not use them.

The steel braided lines for the rails came from HiPoTek too. Then I found a steel braided line for the fuel line going from the frame to the engine. I forget who made that line.

I'm running the Fire Power Ignition kit, it is dist cap, rotor, coil & plug wires. They are really good kits. This is from Performance Distributors here is a link: http://www.performancedistributors.com/dtrkignition.htm

This is what my plug wires look like only dirty now: http://www.performancedistributors.c...wires-blue.htm

Old 05-20-2013, 11:54 PM
AtomicDog
Champion

Wildman, do you think you might be able to find out who made up the braided fuel line that goes from the frame rail metal fuel line to the engine? I suspect there is a special fitting on the end of that line to allow it to mate with the metal fuel line at the frame rail. Also, how long is that fuel line?

Old 05-21-2013, 02:34 AM
Wildman4x4nut
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by AtomicDog
Wildman, do you think you might be able to find out who made up the braided fuel line that goes from the frame rail metal fuel line to the engine? I suspect there is a special fitting on the end of that line to allow it to mate with the metal fuel line at the frame rail. Also, how long is that fuel line?
It is made by Russell and I'll measure it for you tomorrow. Here is a link to where I bought it. http://thmotorsports.com/i-299306.as...FUqoPAodrXMAYg

AtomicDog,
It is 44" long and has the fittings to clip onto the fitting on the fuel rail and the frame. Now remember that mine is going in a Jeep and not a Ram truck engine bay. Let me know if you need any other info.

Last edited by Wildman4x4nut; 05-21-2013 at 05:39 AM.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:08 AM
AtomicDog
Champion

Thanks for the info, Wildman. Very nice build you have going with great pictures and concise documentation.

Old 05-21-2013, 03:35 PM
Wildman4x4nut
Record Breaker

Atomic,
That is what we are all here for right? To share info and help one another out. There is so much info on these forums I have no idea what we did before the internet. I know I use to pick anyone's and everyone's brains back when I was a kid. Kids now days have no idea what it was like 30-40 (Damn I'm old) years ago. Other than points ignition was easier than this new electronic junk and it didn't cost you $$$$ to buy the tools you needed to test and maintain your rig. My first truck was a 1950 Dodge 3/4 ton with a 5 window cab and the gull wing looking hood. Had an inline 6 banger in it with 3 on the tree. I blew both the tranny and rear end in it one day spinning donuts. Ok enough rambling.......................................... ...........................

Old 05-21-2013, 05:07 PM
AtomicDog
Champion

Correct - I love the forums too - just wanted to let you know that your build has a lot of good, quality info. Some builds don't go into quite this level of detail, which to me, is very good..

Old 05-21-2013, 09:16 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,214 Likes on 2,965 Posts

Maybe we should change the title though..... add "Not So" between "build", and "on the cheap".

Old 05-21-2013, 09:32 PM
redneck_ram
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gonna have to grt me one of those fancy fuel rail setups soon. Now that I have a job of course... did I ever mention that this galaxy s3 I have now is AMAZING!!

Quick Reply: 5.9 Rebuild on the cheap: Now Just Empty Every Pocket build.