2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

01 dodge ram dies...help

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 10:42 PM
longroof
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
It sounds for all the world like a bad connection somewhere. But, you have been thru all that..... Did you pull the connectors off the pcm, and inspect those as well? (disconnect battery first....)
I sure did.
It runs alot worse when it is cold.
i even checked the coolant temp and the iat cold and it was the same.

Old 06-19-2012, 10:49 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just for giggles and grins, have you checked your fuel pressure? It sounds like it dies from lack of fuel, but that does not explain the loss of power.

Old 06-19-2012, 10:49 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

Is there a junkyard nearby? Could you grab a 'donor' PCM to test with? It would leave the Air Bag, and ABS lights on, but, if it solved the running problem, you could get it flashed to your vin, to turn off the lights...... I would hate to have you spend the bucks on a new one, and it NOT solve the problem......

Old 06-19-2012, 10:54 PM
longroof

Is there a junkyard nearby? Could you grab a 'donor' PCM to test with? It would leave the Air Bag, and ABS lights on, but, if it solved the running problem, you could get it flashed to your vin, to turn off the lights...... I would hate to have you spend the bucks on a new one, and it NOT solve the problem......
Is that all i have to worry about is the air bag and abs if i buy a used one?
Someone told me i had to have it flashed .
will it run without flashing it?

Old 06-19-2012, 10:57 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Yep, will run fine, just the lights will stay on till you get it flashed to your vin. Of course, real possibility ABS and Air bags won't work either....

Old 06-19-2012, 11:00 PM
longroof

Yep, will run fine, just the lights will stay on till you get it flashed to your vin. Of course, real possibility ABS and Air bags won't work either....
I will try to locate one tomorow and see what hapens..
Thanks guys for all your help.

Old 06-19-2012, 11:08 PM
longroof

If i buy a reman pcm will it need flashed first?

Old 06-19-2012, 11:11 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Most of the reman places will want your vin in any event. PCM should be just plug and play. Do NOT buy from auto computer exchange, they have a horrid reputation. Price them out locally, and online, see if you can get one of the local shops to price match for ya. That way, if it's bad, you can go in and see 'em, rather than just chatting on the phone.

Old 06-20-2012, 08:28 AM
fargo39
Professional

had a problem like this on my 01 as well. changed the battery and it's been working good the last six months. i blame a shorted cell in the battery.

Old 06-21-2012, 08:09 PM
ITTTom
Amateur

I hope someone chimes in on what they did to fix this issue (or the other "Just Dies" threads)

Mine has done it once in a while while driving then today I attempted to go to lunch and it just turned over. Went back inside for about 20 minutes came out to kick it, and it fired right up. Drove about 5 miles and died, about 2 minutes of sitting still and bingo, drove it home (Great excuse to get out of work) 25 miles with no issue.

I have no idea which relay is which anymore because I moved them around

I thought I found the issue this past weekend when I found an old alarm system still wired into the harness under the dash with all it's electrical tape glory. Corrected all the connections and wires by soldering and heat shrink.

Went to the local parts yard and every PCM was already removed, might check a couple of others because 30 dollars is better then 170+

CEL is always on, but I also have an off road exhaust with no O2 Sensors.

I do have eratic oil pressure and I did install a new HV oil pump, and I do not have any oil on top of my plenum, so I troll away waiting for an outcome

I do need to check all my grounds, and I did not think a bad battery could cause it since it dies completly and the alternator would (should) keep the power going.

Quick Reply: 01 dodge ram dies...help