2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tranny issues...again

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2012 | 06:45 PM
georgiahemi
|
Default Tranny issues...again

Okay, I was on here quite a while ago explaining all the problems I had with the trans, and the steps my brother and I did. We thought we had it fixed....up until yesterday. So without going through all of what we did before, I just want to explain exactly what it is doing now, and see if any of you had ever heard of such a thing.

First off, I have a 2001 RAM 4x4 with the 5.2. If I drive it for about 45 minutes, so it gets nice and warm, then it starts acting up. If I am at a higher speed(40-65), then take my foot off the gas, when the RPM's get at or below 1000, it will start to down shift very hard. Then once it downshifts all the way down, and I start to speed up, it acts like its stuck in that gear. If I really romp on the gas up to a high RPM, then let off a bit, it will shift into the upper gears. But if I completely let off the gas again...same thing happens. Here is one more interesting fact. With the over drive off, it does not do this. Its almost like with overdrive off, the RPMs dont drop as much.

Any thoughts??? This weekend we are going to try and adjust the TP cable to factory setting and see what happens.

Old 06-21-2012 | 10:03 PM
chevy62

Time to trade it in.

Old 06-21-2012 | 10:22 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Have you replaced the governor pressure sensor/solenoid?

Old 06-21-2012 | 11:01 PM
gdstock
Legend

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Have you replaced the governor pressure sensor/solenoid?

+1.

And sometimes,if we know what was done, it helps us figure out waht is going on. If you posted on a previous thread, it would be easier to continue the thread.

Old 06-21-2012 | 11:14 PM
chevy62

Originally Posted by gdstock
+1.

And sometimes,if we know what was done, it helps us figure out waht is going on. If you posted on a previous thread, it would be easier to continue the thread.

Yeah, he didnt mention the earlier work. The Governor pressure solenoid/sensor have been replaced twice, the last time with the Borg warner parts. Originally the issue was 1763 code. That problem has went away. The fluid and filter was changed a few months ago, Atf4, no metal in pan. Now it almost seems like its only acting up when it gets hot. He also mentioned to me that the problem goes away when you turn off overdrive.

Old 06-21-2012 | 11:55 PM
gdstock
Legend

I think the trans tryies to go into limp mode if it is getting too hot. Not sure, but seems i read that somewhere. Need to get a temp measurement on that thing and see waht it is dooing before it goes bang!

Also, chec valve delete and clean trans cooler part of radiator. Not cooling can be an issue. After market trans cooler wouldn't hurt.

Old 06-22-2012 | 12:21 AM
chevy62

Originally Posted by gdstock
I think the trans tryies to go into limp mode if it is getting too hot. Not sure, but seems i read that somewhere. Need to get a temp measurement on that thing and see waht it is dooing before it goes bang!

Also, chec valve delete and clean trans cooler part of radiator. Not cooling can be an issue. After market trans cooler wouldn't hurt.
Good tips! Where is a good spot to get a temp reading? I only have a temp gun, no gauge to hook up. We will do the check valve delete and clean cooler this weekend.

Old 06-22-2012 | 11:06 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Check temp close to the trans on the cooler outlet line. (when it's acting up.)

Old 06-22-2012 | 01:35 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

Originally Posted by chevy62
Good tips! Where is a good spot to get a temp reading? I only have a temp gun, no gauge to hook up.
Buy one! There is tons of threads to make it easy to install. Although, I already think your tranny is toast.

Old 06-22-2012 | 04:15 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion

It still needs to be rebuilt.... that was the concensus in the last thread on this problem... there could be damaged gears in th overdrive unit or a partially plugged line causing your fluid pressure to be out of whack.... when its all said and done your going to have 40+ hours or labor in screwing with it and hundreds in parts invested in patching it up only to have a worn tranny ticking like a time bomb that you can never fully depend on....
I know it sucks but sometimes it just makes more sense to approach problems the right way..... I screwed with mine multiple times only to have it cause more long term damage and need more on the rebuild....
your symptoms describe what mine did just prior to the torque converter grenading shrapnel throughout my transmission passages...
the rpm levels in drive and overdrive seems just a bit off and higher than normal...

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 06-22-2012 at 04:17 PM.

Quick Reply: Tranny issues...again