2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

A/C Leak

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 10:10 PM
daredevil95
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C Leak

Hi, I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 with a 5.2 engine. The A/C wasn't blowing cold so, I bought a can of freon and charged the system. The A/C blew nice and cold and worked for a few days. The A/C stopped working a few days later. I have a Freon leak somewhere in my system. Does anyone know what is a common leak area for this A/C system and does anyone know how many o-rings are in the A/C system. I'm guessing that I need to change the O-rings, anyone ever go through this before and if so, any info will be appreciated.

Old 07-21-2012, 10:38 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,281 Likes on 3,028 Posts

If the refrigerant you bought had dye in it, (which most of the stuff on the shelf does....) get an ultra-violet light, and look for the leak. If you don't find it, it's the evap core.

If you crack open the system, you are going to need to have it evacuated.... otherwise, it won't be as efficient as you like.

Old 07-22-2012, 12:07 AM
SilverSS
Captain

+1. If it didn't have the dye put some in with enough freon to make the compressor cycle then find it. You should be able to buy a complete o-ring kit for the truck for around $6. I got one at advanced auto.

Old 07-22-2012, 12:22 AM
daredevil95

Originally Posted by SilverSS
+1. If it didn't have the dye put some in with enough freon to make the compressor cycle then find it. You should be able to buy a complete o-ring kit for the truck for around $6. I got one at advanced auto.
Thanks for the quick response. The freon I added didn't have a die in it....so no luck there. How big of a job is it to change the O-rings?

Old 07-22-2012, 12:33 AM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Changing all the orings is not a good plan. Finding the source of the leak is a better plan. If it is in core, accumlator, condenser or hoses, you have spent money and significant cost and failed to get the problem resolved.

And just guessing, probably about a dozen o rings - and not all the same size!

Get a can of refigerant with the dye and try that.

Old 07-22-2012, 12:36 AM
SilverSS
Captain

It's very easy. Almost anywhere there's a connection in the A/C system there's an O-ring. Find out what weight PAG oil is recommended and get a small bottle of it. Coat the o-ring in PAG oil, put it in and tighten back together with wrenches. I wouldn't recommend opening the system up until you're sure you know where the leak is. As Heyyou mentioned once opened up it will need to be vacuumed down. On my car the seals in the a/c compressor were shot and the evap core was leaking a little bit also; but the car had sat for around 3 years before I got it. Put a little dye in it and r134 and run the system for a while. I checked with the black light after it was dark out- made it VERY easy to find without the glasses or anything.

Old 07-22-2012, 12:43 AM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

But there are o rings on thse valves, the quick connectos at accumulator (2 connections) the condenser (2 sets), the compressor (2 orings)....kind of get the picture? Lost of o rings, and they require evacuating and refiiling the system. Then there is the valve stems themselves....

Old 07-22-2012, 11:30 AM
daredevil95

Thanks guys....I got the point. I'll buy a dye kit today and give it a try. Thanks!!

Quick Reply: A/C Leak