2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Shutter-Hesitation-Misfire

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 01:32 AM
It's Me Patt
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jondakotaguy
It's the Power Stearing Pump making that Vac sound; that's what it is on mine and its common on Dodge it seems; Ford makes a whining. Dodge makes a vac leak sound.. nothing to major..

As far as your shudder in upper speads; I think you might be dealing with two different things.... or.. your TCC is just locked in and your getting more of the feeling into the drivetrain just as if you were sitting still as the torque seems to either make the problem dissappeer or hides it. Kinda what happens with a timing chain to sticking valve.. idle its irradiate but under throttle seems to clear up.. i think the same kinda thing.

I'm starting to wonder though how bad your's actually is though.. if you give it gas your shudder if it's the same as mine and others that never found/reported a solution... should go away under increased RPM.

And I agree 4 and 6 might have some carbon built up.. and yes I tested it twice on each.. and the higher ones we tested 3 times to be sure the readings. My brother is convinced it's not compression related though.
As for your truck I don't think so either, sorry to agree with him You gonna bust out the seafoam? Didn't seem to do AnYtHiNg for my ride??
That's funny you say that cause I did check the ps cap and have felt some tightness on low speed u-type turns..but I would have noticed that sound before. When I replaced the wheel hub the other day I had to turn the steering wheel a few times to get to one of the bolts and some fluid came out from the cap? Truck wasn't running while I turned it but that was odd..pressure build up I guess..

Old 08-19-2012, 11:55 AM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Yeah.. if it came out replace the cap.

Old 08-19-2012, 12:03 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You don't need a new ps cap, if the motor is not running and you turn the steering wheel the oil will over flow out the cap.

Last edited by merc225hp; 08-19-2012 at 12:08 PM.
Old 08-19-2012, 12:15 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by merc225hp
You don't need a new ps cap, if the motor is not running and you turn the steering wheel the oil will over flow out the cap.
+1....

Old 08-19-2012, 12:51 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker

IMO that cap is not an overflow cap of any kind.. it should not do that.. that's why i suggested to replace the cap. Unless it is some kind of overflow cap.. but It does not look like one.. that also explains to me from it leaking causing the vacuum sound.

Old 08-19-2012, 01:06 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If the hyd pump is not running it will over flow, it's the way a hyd steering system works. He does not need a new cap. If there is a vac sound or hyd whine coming from the pump it's low on oil has the wrong oil in it or it's on it's way out.

Last edited by merc225hp; 08-19-2012 at 01:08 PM. Reason: spelling add info
Old 08-19-2012, 01:13 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by merc225hp
If the hyd pump is not running it will over flow, it's the way a hyd steering system works. He does not need a new cap. If there is a vac sound or hyd whine coming from the pump it's low on oil has the wrong oil in it or it's on it's way out.
+1 again.

Old 08-19-2012, 01:41 PM
QuadCabLuv
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So i wonder if this applies to my forklifts hydraulic steering? It tends to overflow out of the hydraulic resevior.

Old 08-19-2012, 09:51 PM
It's Me Patt
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You guys crack me up, thanks! IDK who's right, wrong, crazy...well I'm the crazy one, but I'm sure my SM has some inaccuracies..Correct or not I've always changed my break pads (on this truck) with the engine off when I turn the wheel to get to the caliper bolts and never had this happen before? I was reading the SM before and it states the reason for a hiss sound is a "noisy valve in PS gear" and one for a sucking air sound (ha) "o-ring missing or damaged on hoes fitting" "loose return line clamp" *low fluid* or "air leak between pump and reservoir". Some fluid came out but I checked today and it wasn't low..Also I have been checking PS prices online and some don't come with caps?? Once again I know I'm crazy but wtf..that's like going to buy new sneakers and they sell them without laces? And it's not just a cap it has a seal & dipstick too IDK...So Jon, I ran the truck from 30ish to 50ish mph with the OD off and no shudder/shaking..will do again in the am off a roll (from a stop) see what's up..Now there's been lots of people viewing this thread with nothing to say but I know this is a widespread problem. Chime in people Q's A's whatever...And not just a problem with dodge trucks! It's also an issue with newer ford pickups..They're having problems with trans mounts or something..I will get to that list asap..yankee game is on so I gotta go...BTW, poped the old coil on with no change...

Last edited by It's Me Patt; 08-19-2012 at 09:57 PM.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:31 AM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker

Yeah I'm not trying to argue but everytime I ever seen this same sorta thing with fluid coming out the PS pump when turning the wheels the cap was bad; we replaced them.. being the seal was not good. Maybe just maybe its different from dodge???

I'm going to replace my cap for the hell of it and if the VAC leak at idle disappears from it.. then I'll let you all know.. I think that's fair enough.

Question I never asked you; on your CEL; is it a constant; or does it randomly come and go?

You might have a second issue like i said before you could have a problem with your Torque Converter Clutch. Causing TCC shutter which would be a different issue than the roll off shutter.. But reading up on it as well seems to indicate you could have lock up problems when engaging at 45mph where it tried to engage like a floating shift or going in and out of O/D while above* 45. You would also see a surging of RPM while it's doing it as the electronic clutch would be engaging/disengaging.

My brother seems to think I'm chasing a ghost and thinks my truck runs just fine. He thinks I should try and get it to pop a code again and see what kind of miss it is; rather its the Knock sensor triggering.. saying there is a miss or w/e.

Other than that he claims my injectors sound fine; Timing is constant which indicates nothing is wrong with the chain or sprockets other wise it might be a little irradic -/+ a little.

Unless there is some sort of interference (EMI) causing a slight miss below allowed limits. Even with the proper routing per the TSB.

Other than that; being i know my mounts need changing do that.. and call it a day.. drive the **** out of it till something major happens. LOL