2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

97 2500 missfire during right turns?!?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 06:36 PM
jmerrill
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 2500 missfire during right turns?!?

Hello everyone,

Before I go into the issue that I am having, I would like to thank everyone who "will be" hopefully be putting effort into this post.

Vehicle info: 97 ram 2500 360 5.9l 4x4
Modification: K&N Intake

Currently the problem that I am having with this truck is that during a right turn, the truck misses badly. I have checked just about every connection under the hood that I can think of. I have checked for shorted wiring and have remove any wiring the previous owner had installed either for alarm or lighting to help eliminate possible shorting issue. The vehicle is throwing a p0304 code, which is the missfire cyl #4. I have replaced the plugs in the truck, I have re routed the plug wires and seperated them to ensure they are not touching. The truck smells as though it is running rich but I am assuming that is from the missfire and not burning all of the fuel in the cyl. I have searched and read many of these postings but never found anything that resembled the issue with making the right turn.

I had this at a shop to replace the injector and after spending a ton of money for them to keep looking for the problem, I got mad and took my truck home. before I left they say "OH" its the computer... would this cause only cyl 4 to have issues? and only on right turns?

I am about to drive this truck into the desert with a 50gal drum of gasoline and have one HELL of a bonfire...

Thanks for any help given.

Old 09-01-2012, 10:42 PM
jmerrill
Amateur

just incase anyone else has this same problem, I found the issue in the dist. cap. Very small arc marks were located. replaced cap and rotor again and voala. still having minor random missfires though.

Old 09-01-2012, 10:55 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What kind of plugs are you using?

Old 09-02-2012, 08:18 PM
jmerrill
Amateur

The right turn problem was resolved with cap and rotor... It had the aluminum crap.. unfortunately my local auto parts only had the aluminum ones...

I am still getting a CEL for a cyl 3 misfire P0303 :-(

The plugs were Autolite Platinum, I just replaced them again with Champion Platinums and replaced the wires trying to eliminate problems... I also installed extra wire spacers to eliminate any cross...

Man this is irritating!!

Old 09-02-2012, 08:56 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,273 Likes on 3,020 Posts

Switch to plain jane copper plugs. If you still have a misfire, do a compression test.

Old 09-04-2012, 10:38 PM
jmerrill
Amateur

I havent changed to plain plugs. I dont understand what difference that would make...

also, I decided to go through everything again... I noticed this time that when I reset the computer.. The truck runs perfect for about 10-15 minutes then starts to act up... missing, shimmy during load at about 45 mph... Could this be the computer? or is there something else that I can check / replace?

Parts already replaced:
Cap - OEM Replacement
Rotor - OEM Replacement
Plugs - Champion Platinum, also tried Autolite Platinum
Wires - Worn B. or whatever its called.

Old 09-04-2012, 10:44 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Reason to change to Copper plugs is for whatever reason these Magnum Engines prefer Copper over fancy plugs...

Copper plugs are cheap, won't hurt to try....

Old 09-05-2012, 12:38 AM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jmerrill
I havent changed to plain plugs. I dont understand what difference that would make...
You wouldn't be anywhere near the first to resolve his small block Magnum misfires by ditching the expensivum plugs for plain old coppers and making sure his wires are routed properly in accordance with the TSB that's found here in our FAQ/DIY section.

Last edited by UnregisteredUser; 09-05-2012 at 12:41 AM.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:56 PM
jmerrill
Amateur

in regards to the plugs, if the dodge doesnt like the plugs, wouldnt it be misfireing in all cyls not just #3?

I am looking for the TSB but having issue finding it...

Old 09-05-2012, 09:01 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

in regards to the plugs, if the dodge doesnt like the plugs, wouldnt it be misfireing in all cyls not just #3?
Nah... it's just the nature of bleeding edge problems. It's all dependent upon how tolerances stack together, really. The three hole quite often is alone in big dislike of plugs, and five and seven which most often cross-fire with bad routing. But at least there's some easily discernible logic in the five/seven cross fire.

I am looking for the TSB but having issue finding it...
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...lug-wires.html

Quick Reply: 97 2500 missfire during right turns?!?