2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Sludged up!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 08:49 AM
Adobedude
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by VWandDodge
With all of the ****-ant fixes you guys are suggesting, his best bet is to pull the engine and do a complete refurbishment of it.
I agree...Pull it and clean it, and I mean everything, lifters, push rods etc. or park it till you can or you are going to be looking at a complete engine rebuild.

Old 09-08-2012, 11:26 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DodgeTh1s1
i would do that if i had the equipment and time i have to know how just none of the others

Well, time is money and there is such a concept as investing your time. Whatever money you *think* you're saving can actually cost you down the road. The course of action would be for you to buy the following book:

It's an excellent step-by-step How-to book written by one of the engineers who worked on the Magnum engine project. A machine shop will have the necessary equipment for deep cleaning the heads, block, and other pieces.

I suggest you give it some serious consideration. Maybe, for the short term, meaning the next six months or so, you follow some of the suggestions provided while saving money necessary for the job. Invest in some tools and for renting equipment (heck, scour Craigslist for engine stands and engine hoists). Enlist the aid of a friend or two to assist. You'll learn a lot and appreciate your newfound skills. Engine shops are usually really good at tutoring people so long as you listen to experience and show your appreciation.

Old 09-08-2012, 05:08 PM
Adobedude
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by VWandDodge
Well, time is money and there is such a concept as investing your time. Whatever money you *think* you're saving can actually cost you down the road. The course of action would be for you to buy the following book:

It's an excellent step-by-step How-to book written by one of the engineers who worked on the Magnum engine project. A machine shop will have the necessary equipment for deep cleaning the heads, block, and other pieces.

I suggest you give it some serious consideration. Maybe, for the short term, meaning the next six months or so, you follow some of the suggestions provided while saving money necessary for the job. Invest in some tools and for renting equipment (heck, scour Craigslist for engine stands and engine hoists). Enlist the aid of a friend or two to assist. You'll learn a lot and appreciate your newfound skills. Engine shops are usually really good at tutoring people so long as you listen to experience and show your appreciation.
Great book...It's a must have.

Old 09-08-2012, 08:56 PM
DodgeTh1s1
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Adobedude
I agree...Pull it and clean it, and I mean everything, lifters, push rods etc. or park it till you can or you are going to be looking at a complete engine rebuild.
i am running out of options my exploder has 201k on it with a broken timing guide and many more issues i just need it to last me for MAYBE a year till i get my **** straight

Old 09-08-2012, 08:58 PM
DodgeTh1s1
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

then i can start a remodel

Quick Reply: Sludged up!!!