2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Sludged up!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 04:03 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I've seen too many engines smoked by such behavior.......

As for the valve seals, they are probably already dried up. Good chance to change 'em out here......
i guess it is like every engine additive. you take a gamble. i know you can find lots of people who blame putting sea foam in there oil for there engine dying but then there is lots of people that do it properly and all goes well. now saying all that i have filled the engine in my 81 with gas on a couple different occasions and it still ran good.

Old 09-07-2012, 04:19 PM
Adobedude
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by crazzywolfie
i was told the same thing by my dad and old auto shop teacher. drain oil fill with Kerosene or Diesel and run engine for about a minute then drain Kerosene or Diesel, change filter add oil and drive around the block and then do another oil and filter change.
Really bad advice...

"Might" work on a solid lifter motor, ever really seen the inside of a hydro roller lifter? That's if the oil even makes it past the oil pick up after a kerosne rinse.

Best is to pull the pan and wash the motor out, or even better pull the motor and take apart for a cleaning.

Old 09-07-2012, 04:34 PM
stewie01
Legend

Just had a thought, might even be a worse idea then the kero or diesel. What if you, drained the oil, dropped the pan (for a more complete drain), put pan back, then use a de-greaser like PurplePower (NOT with the engine running) but more for soaking? Let it soak for a day or so, whatever it takes...

Then drain, fill with cheap **** oil, run for a little bit, drain again (may repeat once or twice more...) Then a regular oil change...

Thoughts or another blow it up type deal?

Old 09-07-2012, 06:29 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,273 Likes on 3,020 Posts

Originally Posted by stewie01
Just had a thought, might even be a worse idea then the kero or diesel. What if you, drained the oil, dropped the pan (for a more complete drain), put pan back, then use a de-greaser like PurplePower (NOT with the engine running) but more for soaking? Let it soak for a day or so, whatever it takes...

Then drain, fill with cheap **** oil, run for a little bit, drain again (may repeat once or twice more...) Then a regular oil change...

I would trust that method more than putting something other than oil in the pan, and actually running the engine.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:23 PM
Adobedude
All Star

I really think all motors should come with a plate on the oil pan so you can pull it off and clean the oil pick up...Here's the oil pick up on my stock bottom 360 that came out of my Dakota drag truck...Looks like the occasional 7200 RPM blast in the water box was killing the valve seals

Old 09-07-2012, 11:31 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Adobedude
I really think all motors should come with a plate on the oil pan so you can pull it off and clean the oil pick up...Here's the oil pick up on my stock bottom 360 that came out of my Dakota drag truck...Looks like the occasional 7200 RPM blast in the water box was killing the valve seals

Now THAT'S pretty fugly! Was it still running?

Old 09-08-2012, 12:09 AM
DodgeTh1s1
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VWandDodge
With all of the ****-ant fixes you guys are suggesting, his best bet is to pull the engine and do a complete refurbishment of it.
i would do that if i had the equipment and time i have to know how just none of the others

Old 09-08-2012, 12:10 AM
DodgeTh1s1
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stewie01

are you talkin bout fillin the whole entire motor with purple power like pan to valve cover or what/

Old 09-08-2012, 12:12 AM
stewie01
Legend

Originally Posted by DodgeTh1s1
are you talkin bout fillin the whole entire motor with purple power like pan to valve cover or what/
Yup. It would take a lot of PurplePower (or whatever you use) but give it a day or two to soak it should do a pretty good job cleaning.

Old 09-08-2012, 08:46 AM
Adobedude
All Star

Originally Posted by gdstock
Now THAT'S pretty fugly! Was it still running?
Ran like a top, great oil pressure too...I was surprised when I saw it. Looks like the retainers were making contact with a few of the valve seals hence all the green plastic & springs on the pick up.

Quick Reply: Sludged up!!!