2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Broken plug #4cyl

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 06:51 AM
eblack
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken plug #4cyl

So I broke the plug on my 96 ram 5.9 in # 4 cyl, the treads was the only thing left. So I took my time drilling then ran the 14mm tap down through, new plug went in with no prob, the truck runs great but I noticed some bubbles (leak) at the seat of the plug where some left over pb blaster was. Should I have drilled it big enough for a thread insert? Or just double the plug washer?

Old 09-09-2012, 10:04 AM
It's Me Patt
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by eblack
So I broke the plug on my 96 ram 5.9 in # 4 cyl, the treads was the only thing left. So I took my time drilling then ran the 14mm tap down through, new plug went in with no prob, the truck runs great but I noticed some bubbles (leak) at the seat of the plug where some left over pb blaster was. Should I have drilled it big enough for a thread insert? Or just double the plug washer?
Maybe try a few turns around the threads with teflon tape 1st...

Old 09-09-2012, 11:58 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

So now that any chemicals have burned off, is it still bubbling?

Originally Posted by It's Me Patt
Maybe try a few turns around the threads with teflon tape 1st...
That would last about 5 seconds.

Old 09-09-2012, 03:01 PM
It's Me Patt
Captain

Originally Posted by zman17
So now that any chemicals have burned off, is it still bubbling?

That would last about 5 seconds.
Not it the truck is off It's safe to 500*f and depends which one you use it can sustain even higher temps...but drive the truck for an hour then pull the plug..it's not close to that temp, correct? If not he could use a tangless helicoil or am I off with that one too? Go mets

Old 09-09-2012, 03:47 PM
eblack
Amateur

@ Zman not bubbling any more cuz the chemical is all gone, It bubbled as soon as I started it so I just assumed it was a leak. @ Pat, I would have thought the same thing about the teflon. I have tape I got from Lowes so I'm going to give it a try. Thank you guys!!!!!!!

Old 09-09-2012, 07:30 PM
It's Me Patt
Captain

@ Zman not bubbling any more cuz the chemical is all gone, It bubbled as soon as I started it so I just assumed it was a leak. @ Pat, I would have thought the same thing about the teflon. I have tape I got from Lowes so I'm going to give it a try. Thank you guys!!!!!!!
Could still be a leak..not sure what would be best to test it with, dishsoap is usually good to test with but not sure in this situation tho..Maybe zman will offer something better..he knows his stuff and way more than me! good luck...

Old 09-09-2012, 08:02 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,270 Likes on 3,017 Posts

I wonder if the bubbling initially was from the liquid simply boiling off.......

Old 09-10-2012, 04:43 AM
eblack
Amateur

I thought that to, but would it boil right at start up?

Old 09-10-2012, 06:58 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,270 Likes on 3,017 Posts

Hhhhmmm. probably not..... I am not even entirely sure just how hot it gets there.... though I would image "fairly hot" would describe it pretty well...... hit it with a temp gun, and see.....

Old 09-10-2012, 06:23 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

If the seat was clean and the plug was torqued to spec, there no problem. It was just the chemicals you used burning off(which won't happen instantly). Spray the same chemicals down one of the other plug tubes. I'm thinking it will bubble too for a period of time..

Quick Reply: Broken plug #4cyl