2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

another dead ram

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 12:53 PM
aofarrell2
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bunker
tech i think i hear a sort of popping, but im also hearing something new like a bleed down of air.tomorrow after going for a job interview im going to start checking all the vacum lines i swear it sounds like air excaping then goes away slowly. i might try a old trick from the ol days mix a sprayer with dish soap and water then spray it on the lines/connections of vacums lines where you see bubbles you have a leak.
Check for vacuum leaks, but with the popping sound it confirms to me that your EVAP system solenoid is disconnected from one of the lines. Check the lines at the EVAP solenoid: there should be at least two lines hooked up, one goes to a vacuum port on the intake manifold, the other goes to the charcoal canister underneath the driver's seat area (outside the cab)... I had the same problem happen to me.

Old 11-07-2012, 01:15 PM
bunker
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just another code

well i think i got the P-0443 code fixed a loose vacume line comming from the gas tank was cracked.

Now the P0783 code, some kind of 3-4 shift code, alldata says it can be 3 or 4 things so being i already replaced every sensor and silanoid in the tranny and it shifts out fine im leaning to relays or something electrical.

Old 11-07-2012, 03:51 PM
aofarrell2
Champion

well i think i got the P-0443 code fixed a loose vacume line comming from the gas tank was cracked.

Now the P0783 code, some kind of 3-4 shift code, alldata says it can be 3 or 4 things so being i already replaced every sensor and silanoid in the tranny and it shifts out fine im leaning to relays or something electrical.
So you replaced the O/D solenoid? What does the tranny fluid look/smell like when you have it warmed up and pull the dipstick? It could be a relay, but that would affect the whole transmission if it did. Another possibility is a bad internal tranny harness, faulty external main harness, a bad PCM, or a bad O/D range. Is the O/D light on when you initially start the vehicle? Also, is the tranny connector on the tranny tight?

Old 11-07-2012, 04:21 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by techningeer
So you replaced the O/D solenoid? What does the tranny fluid look/smell like when you have it warmed up and pull the dipstick? It could be a relay, but that would affect the whole transmission if it did. Another possibility is a bad internal tranny harness, faulty external main harness, a bad PCM, or a bad O/D range. Is the O/D light on when you initially start the vehicle? Also, is the tranny connector on the tranny tight?
If the he did replace the TCC/OD solenoid unit, that would normally take care of the internal harness problem.

Old 11-07-2012, 09:32 PM
bunker
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by techningeer
Tranny fluid is good only about 4 months old under 1000 miles on it, no lites come on at all, i took it out for a live data test on the code reader and while driving at 60 pushed the o/d botton to disengage the OD and the rpms went up as normal. so to me the tranny is working fine, normal rpms all seems ok there.

i check all connections tomorrow when i get under it.

Old 11-08-2012, 09:40 AM
aofarrell2
Champion

Tranny fluid is good only about 4 months old under 1000 miles on it, no lites come on at all, i took it out for a live data test on the code reader and while driving at 60 pushed the o/d botton to disengage the OD and the rpms went up as normal. so to me the tranny is working fine, normal rpms all seems ok there.

i check all connections tomorrow when i get under it.
Hmm... Sounds strange.

Quick Reply: another dead ram