2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

another dead ram

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 12:16 AM
bunker
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by techningeer
So then the FSM and Haynes manual are incorrect.
did not work with my 1999 built 1 / 1999 even with the chicken foot hanging from the mirror i tried around 5 diffrent key thingys and only got a gauge test.

Old 11-02-2012, 02:33 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

So then the FSM and Haynes manual are incorrect.

yea, they are both wrong . It simply does not work and I have no idea why. I too had a 98 , and plenty of DF'rs with early 99's report that the key trick does not work.

Old 11-02-2012, 02:35 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

Originally Posted by UnregisteredUser
Oh. THAT! Duh.

It is always serviced regularly and with the same attention to detail as I approach everything else in my life that is important to me. No worries there.

Just make sure it's at least every 3000 miles. LOL

Old 11-02-2012, 02:43 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by zman17
Just make sure it's at least every 3000 miles. LOL
I try for at least once every 86,400 seconds. We're a little bit behind, though, and trying like hell to get caught up.

Old 11-02-2012, 02:57 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

Originally Posted by UnregisteredUser
I try for at least once every 86,400 seconds. We're a little bit behind, though, and trying like hell to get caught up.
LOL, good luck with that. You said "behind".

Old 11-04-2012, 06:51 PM
bunker
Professional

Well got my code reader yesterday and its great, still trying to figure it out. but i came up with a P-0443 i know what it is but no idea where to start trouble shooting it. some sort of valve but the book says more than likley its a sensor problem.as ive said a million times its always the friggin sensor not the part its reading hence money waisted.)(*&%^$^%$^#%$%*. so to the service manual i go

Last edited by bunker; 11-04-2012 at 07:20 PM.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:17 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bunker
some sort of valve but the book says more than likley its a sensor problem.as ive said a million times its always the friggin sensor not the part its reading hence money waisted.)(*&%^$^%$^#%$%*. so to the service manual i go
In my experience, it's usually not a sensor fault. Often, it's that the EVAP canister has flung a load of carbon into the line and fouled the purge valve. Could be your gas cap is leaky. Could be a blown fuse.

Could be time to start troubleshooting methodically, too.

Old 11-06-2012, 06:00 PM
bunker
Professional

well today buger is running weard,it wouldnt stay started at idle, then after awhile it ran fine,later in the day i was checking the idle and it acted like it wasnted to stall out but never did,after 2 times it cleared up. but the p-0443 code is still there but not sure it has anything to do with it. to me it acts like something is dragging the motor down such as the ac comp didnt get shut off correct. not sure how to explane it.

Old 11-06-2012, 07:36 PM
aofarrell2
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bunker
well today buger is running weard,it wouldnt stay started at idle, then after awhile it ran fine,later in the day i was checking the idle and it acted like it wasnted to stall out but never did,after 2 times it cleared up. but the p-0443 code is still there but not sure it has anything to do with it. to me it acts like something is dragging the motor down such as the ac comp didnt get shut off correct. not sure how to explane it.
That's a code for the EVAP system, which essentially takes the fuel vapors from your fuel tank, and at the right operating conditions, introduces those vapors into the intake manifold to be burned in the engine. Most of the time a visual inspection of the system will reveal the problem. Do you hear a popping sound in the engine area when the engine is fully warmed up and idling?

Old 11-06-2012, 08:46 PM
bunker
Professional
Default popping sound

That's a code for the EVAP system, which essentially takes the fuel vapors from your fuel tank, and at the right operating conditions, introduces those vapors into the intake manifold to be burned in the engine. Most of the time a visual inspection of the system will reveal the problem. Do you hear a popping sound in the engine area when the engine is fully warmed up and idling?
tech i think i hear a sort of popping, but im also hearing something new like a bleed down of air.tomorrow after going for a job interview im going to start checking all the vacum lines i swear it sounds like air excaping then goes away slowly. i might try a old trick from the ol days mix a sprayer with dish soap and water then spray it on the lines/connections of vacums lines where you see bubbles you have a leak.

Quick Reply: another dead ram