2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

another dead ram

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 01:55 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bunker
when i do this key thing nothing shows in the trip meter but the dash gauge and lite test, but i noticed that the bell dings 6 times then a pause then 2 times then thats it.
I was wondering why that stuck in my head... Six dings is "put your damned seat belt on!" and two is "look at the dash!". Below an eighth of a tank, are ya?

Old 10-23-2012, 02:25 PM
aofarrell2
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well life just sucks ill have to wait until the money gets better becasue it would cost me around 100 bucks just to get it towed to a parts store. when i can buy a code reader for 75 so all will have to wait until i get some extra bucks.but thats all for the ideas.
You can get it for $45, one that hooks to your computer...

Old 10-24-2012, 08:36 PM
bunker
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default where did this come from

being my truck is still dead and sitting there looking all sad i decided to pressure wash the engine and under the truck as i was pressure washing Attachment 17504 the under side neer the back of the motor a spring feel out.its about 3 inches long with hooks at each end. im going to try and attach a pic of it so all u gurus can see if u know where it went.

Thanks

Last edited by bunker; 07-06-2014 at 10:10 PM.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:42 PM
bunker
Professional
Default not that

Originally Posted by UnregisteredUser
I was wondering why that stuck in my head... Six dings is "put your damned seat belt on!" and two is "look at the dash!". Below an eighth of a tank, are ya?
no it isnt that i always where a seat belt and i have just a hair below full. but ill be getting a code reader i found on flea bay for 55 bucks so hopfuly that will help me figure this out.
i tried to crank it today after taking the dis cap off and spraying some contact cleaner in it and it tried to crank! for a sec then nothing else that was it. so im sure leaning to coil or cap. but we`ll see.

Old 10-24-2012, 08:43 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion

That looks suspiciously very much like the throttle valve return spring down at the transmission end of the cable. You might look there.

Old 10-24-2012, 08:46 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

being my truck is still dead and sitting there looking all sad i decided to pressure wash the engine and under the truck as i was pressure washing Attachment 17504 the under side neer the back of the motor a spring feel out.its about 3 inches long with hooks at each end. im going to try and attach a pic of it so all u gurus can see if u know where it went.

Thanks

That looks like the TV cable return spring. Drive side of tranny where the TV cable attaches. Should be a small hole in the bracket and another one near the engine. Too dark outside or I would take a photo of how it installs.

Last edited by gdstock; 10-24-2012 at 09:03 PM.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:48 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion

no it isnt that i always where a seat belt
Were you wearing it when you did the unsuccessful key dance trick trying to pull the codes via the odometer?

Ennyhoo, two dings is the "look at the instrument cluster" alert. It could be for any idiot light or even a low gauge.

Old 10-24-2012, 10:10 PM
bunker
Professional

Were you wearing it when you did the unsuccessful key dance trick trying to pull the codes via the odometer?

Ennyhoo, two dings is the "look at the instrument cluster" alert. It could be for any idiot light or even a low gauge.
hell i give up on all the key tricks, the only thing that worked was the dried out chicken foot hanging from my mirror,
as far as the 2 dings it did the 6 then 2 when it was running the dash gauges test when you hold the trip meter as you turn the key.everything on the gauges/lites work fine. but thatsnks for the tip.

Old 10-24-2012, 10:12 PM
bunker
Professional
Default cool

Originally Posted by gdstock
That looks like the TV cable return spring. Drive side of tranny where the TV cable attaches. Should be a small hole in the bracket and another one near the engine. Too dark outside or I would take a photo of how it installs.

if u can take a pic in the next few days thats fine, truck is still dead so its not going anywhere.i looked and cant see where it goes. this thing wouldnt be a reason for the truck not to start would it?

Old 10-24-2012, 10:14 PM
bunker
Professional
Default hm

That looks suspiciously very much like the throttle valve return spring down at the transmission end of the cable. You might look there.

i see nowhere it may go, if by chance u can take a pic of it on your truck that would help. the service manual sure didnt help

Quick Reply: another dead ram