2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Some Questions!

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 07:54 PM
Blue Mopar01
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Some Questions!

If I posted this in the wrong place forgive me.
My first question is how do I tell if I have a LSD in my truck? Does the VIN tell me? The thing that got me thinking was when me and a friend did a burnout on my truck and it left two black lines, so I was thinking I might have a LSD.
My other question is one I keep goin back and forth on. I've searched on it and haven't found too much info. Is swapping almost all of my drivetrain and suspension from a 318 1/2 ton to 96'(I think) 360 5 spd 3/4 ton worth it? My uncle has the donor truck(to my knowledge), it's a snow plow truck so the body is pretty much wasted which is why I planned on the swap. Biggest issue I have is permission to due the swap and a little bit on mileage although with a lift it doesn't pay to worry. I'm thinking the engine would need a overhaul and stuff but not quite sure. If anyone could give me positive feedback it would be appreciated.

Old 11-11-2012, 08:24 PM
Matt Nickerson
Record Breaker

Yeah that sounds like you have LSD. Jack up the rear and spin one tire, if the tire spins the same direction it's LSD, if it spins opposite then it's an open diff.
A build sheet from the dealer will also tell you.

Swapping from a 318 to a 360 will give you a negligible gain in power. The nv4500 trans is a million times better than your auto and that's definitely a worthy swap. Driveshafts/ujoints are stronger as are the Dana 60 front and 70 rear. Swapping the suspension will give you some lift (about 2-3") and is a bit stronger than your 1/2 ton. The steering setup is the same but stronger parts are used. If all the parts are in good shape I'd say go for it.

Old 11-11-2012, 08:42 PM
Blue Mopar01
All Star

I'll have to try what you said on my differential, to be positive on it. Honestly the main reason for swapping stuff is to have a better axle for a lift and not have to worry about regearing my differential and have a cheaper lift for my truck. I hear this all the time but guys always get like 13-16 mpg with lifts on a 360 and always can burn the hides off of 33's or bigger. Would the motor swap be worth it in the long run since it would hook up to the trans. and stuff? I'm just trying to gather enough info to make a solid decision on this subject and thanks for a reply.

Old 11-11-2012, 08:59 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If the motor is tired, do not bother with it. Maybe take it as a rebuildable core if that suits your fancy. Swap everything behind it though. Trans, tcase, drivelines (If the truck has the same wheelbase), axles, and suspension. Take crossmembers/mounts with you. Then when you are done contact Hemifever, a forum member, and have him build you a tune (on an SCT Tuner) that will tell your computer that it no longer has a transmission to control. You will get CEL's up the butt until you do. The swap is definitely worth it though.

Old 11-11-2012, 09:08 PM
Matt Nickerson
Record Breaker

How big of a tire/lift combo are going to do? The axles from the 2500 will come stock with 4.10s at the lowest, other options were 3.55s and 3.73s or something like that. If your going 35s or bigger you'll still need to regear.

Old 11-11-2012, 09:13 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion

Never 3.73's in a dodge from the factory. That's a chevy ratio. 3.55's or 4.10's only. Ratios aside, the swap is well worth it.

Old 11-11-2012, 10:27 PM
Blue Mopar01
All Star

Biggest I'd go would be 33's..maybe 34's. I'd have to check the length of the driveshaft. My truck may be a quadcab but the donor is a longbox so I don't know. I'll get more info on the truck soon here, it's been awhile since I've seen and driven that truck.

Old 11-11-2012, 11:11 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion

^^^ If it's a Quad cab with a long bed there's no chance. Take the front shaft fuh sho though. You may need to use parts of the rear shaft to get the right u-joint in it though.

Old 11-12-2012, 09:26 AM
Blue Mopar01
All Star

Woops my bad! I shoulda said the truck is a long box regular cab like yours Wombat.

Old 11-12-2012, 02:01 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion

The drivelline might work then. No guarantees, but its tape measure time

Quick Reply: Some Questions!