2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Accel Ignition coil

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 12:11 PM
konspiracy
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Accel Ignition coil

Is this worth 30Bucks?
I can get one brand new for 30$ Will it plug right in? (some sites say i need an adapter.
Will I notice any benefit

EDIT http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...88830_85386_0_

Last edited by konspiracy; 11-17-2012 at 12:14 PM.
Old 11-17-2012, 12:17 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

NO! get an OEM replacement.

Old 11-17-2012, 12:23 PM
konspiracy
Amateur

Originally Posted by zman17
NO! get an OEM replacement.
Well there is nothing wrong with mine so I will leave it alone. I was just wondering....

Old 11-17-2012, 12:23 PM
Halojm
Professional

It looks identical to OEM with the exception it's yellow. It should plug right up, have no clue on increase performance.

Old 11-17-2012, 12:40 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

All I have to say is, keep the old one in the truck with you.

Old 11-17-2012, 12:40 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

i don't think i would trust a accel coil. maybe the type that would be used on the magnum engines is better than the old ones but i have read many stories were accel coils have gone bad and cause a ton of headache. i know i had one go bad. i also think if you want to upgrade your coil you would need get better wires, cap and rotor. i don't seem to have anything against accel spark plug wires other than they are usually way too long.

Old 11-17-2012, 12:46 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

Originally Posted by crazzywolfie
i don't think i would trust a accel coil. maybe the type that would be used on the magnum engines is better than the old ones but i have read many stories were accel coils have gone bad and cause a ton of headache. i know i had one go bad. i also think if you want to upgrade your coil you would need get better wires, cap and rotor. i don't seem to have anything against accel spark plug wires other than they are usually way too long.
+1... Had to get towed from boston(AAA thank god) because I thought an accel was so great. Maybe things are different with them since then(5 years ago). But I'm not taking the chance. And there is NO more power or fuel economy difference. Bunch of hype.

Old 11-17-2012, 01:00 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

there was a guy on RCC that was troubleshooting a truck that some kid just installed a brand new accel coil on. i guess it ran for a day and then would not run any more. stuck a stock coil back on problem solved. for the most part that seems to be the way every story goes.

Old 11-17-2012, 01:47 PM
konspiracy
Amateur

Originally Posted by crazzywolfie
there was a guy on RCC that was troubleshooting a truck that some kid just installed a brand new accel coil on. i guess it ran for a day and then would not run any more. stuck a stock coil back on problem solved. for the most part that seems to be the way every story goes.
Well then im not gonna mess with it.

Is there anything I can buy for under 50 bucks for some good mileage or hp gains?
I have a C/A intake, and I just cleaned the entire throttle body and bought a new gasket. I cleaned the plugs, the rotor looks decent. I have a flowmaster delta flow 40 series with the stock cat. I reset the computer and double cleared everything with an OBD2 reader.

Although I'm pretty excited about the new OBD2 Bluetooth reader and torque app (android phone) thats coming my way soon. Its gonna be nice to monitor my Tranny temp and MPG all from my phone.

I have a local guy that can do tunes for cheap( one time payment and I can go back anytime) so hopefully that will do me some good.
Im gonna keep my thermostat at 192 for winter (central Texas) I know I am missing something.

Old 11-17-2012, 01:55 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

Originally Posted by konspiracy
Well then im not gonna mess with it.

Is there anything I can buy for under 50 bucks for some good mileage or hp gains?
I have a C/A intake, and I just cleaned the entire throttle body and bought a new gasket. I cleaned the plugs, the rotor looks decent. I have a flowmaster delta flow 40 series with the stock cat. I reset the computer and double cleared everything with an OBD2 reader.

Although I'm pretty excited about the new OBD2 Bluetooth reader and torque app (android phone) thats coming my way soon. Its gonna be nice to monitor my Tranny temp and MPG all from my phone.

I have a local guy that can do tunes for cheap( one time payment and I can go back anytime) so hopefully that will do me some good.
Im gonna keep my thermostat at 192 for winter (central Texas) I know I am missing something.

Not 50 bucks, but I suggest you read the plenum sticky on top of this forum.

Quick Reply: Accel Ignition coil