2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

37" Humvees

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 02:13 AM
Jeff_Schlagel
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 37" Humvees

Hey all,

I was thinking about putting some cheap, used military humvee tires on my 99' laramie slt, and was wondering what kind of wheels and hub adapters I may need. I'm not sure about these in particular but to give you an idea...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/37-inch-Mud-...sories&vxp=mtr

Currently I'm running the stock rims with some 32" all terrain tires. Don't worry about lift, gearing, or that stuff, it's all part of the plan. I'm just not sure about the 37" specifics considering the bolt pattern and whatnot.

Thanks a lot for the help, this is definitely the best place to get the information I need from fellow Dodge enthusiasts.

Old 11-20-2012, 08:35 AM
Randy Curran
Rookie

You can get the wheels and have them recentered.

Old 11-20-2012, 08:37 AM
Ugly1
Record Breaker
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff_Schlagel
Hey all,

I was thinking about putting some cheap, used military humvee tires on my 99' laramie slt, and was wondering what kind of wheels and hub adapters I may need. I'm not sure about these in particular but to give you an idea...

Currently I'm running the stock rims with some 32" all terrain tires. Don't worry about lift, gearing, or that stuff, it's all part of the plan. I'm just not sure about the 37" specifics considering the bolt pattern and whatnot.

Thanks a lot for the help, this is definitely the best place to get the information I need from fellow Dodge enthusiasts.
Something near a 16.5X9 with whatever bolt pattern you are running now ought to do it. Also if you have a 1/2 ton with stock axles and gears you may want to beef things up first.

Old 11-25-2012, 10:23 AM
Eddie Burgess

I have those tires on my 99, I bought my wheels through pro comp for $400

Old 11-25-2012, 10:54 PM
Jeff_Schlagel

I doubt that I will have any axle problems as I plan to do some basic wheeling with some buddies but nothing like extreme rock crawling. That is, as long as there aren't any problems that you guys might foresee with stock axles. Also, how much do you think that gearing might cost? I'd really rather not do it on my own.

Old 11-26-2012, 12:05 AM
97tn4x4
Record Breaker

My 4.88's with the LSD rebuild, new wheel bearings and seals in the rear, seals in the front was about 1900

Old 11-26-2012, 12:47 AM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

i also wonder how you are going to get 16.5" rims with 5 bolt pattern? i know older 3/4 and 1 ton trucks came with 16.5" rim but you would still need 8 bolt pattern axles.

Old 11-26-2012, 12:54 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey all,

37" Humvee tires AND wheels are 16.5" diameter. Therefore, it's an entire shoe swap. Stock form they are 8x6.5 lug pattern and something like 7" backspacing.

Tons of vendors get the tires in auction lots from the military and sell them. You can get the H1 wheels recentered (as stated earlier) with lug pattern of choice.

Originally Posted by Ugly1
Something near a 16.5X9 with whatever bolt pattern you are running now ought to do it. Also if you have a 1/2 ton with stock axles and gears you may want to beef things up first.
I doubt that I will have any axle problems as I plan to do some basic wheeling with some buddies but nothing like extreme rock crawling. That is, as long as there aren't any problems that you guys might foresee with stock axles. Also, how much do you think that gearing might cost? I'd really rather not do it on my own.

You will need at least 6" of lift to clear the tires in order to not do any fender trimming.

If you have stock gears (3.55), then you'll assuredly blow drivetrain stuff up, even in mild wheeling. Lurching along alone will have some consequences. Good two foot driving and skill will be your friends.

Some links to look at, I'm not promoting either of these vendors in any way.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/axles...l-centers.html

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/axles...res-cheap.html

Stock regear cost can be any where from $1100 to $1600. Dependent on parts and the installer.

Regear would entail: master install kit for both axles (all new bearings), new Ring and Pinons (order online or look local), labor for removal and install of new stuff. If you've never done gears before or not ready to deal with this mechanical operation (in some cases needs special tools), then really find a reputable shop or consult by word of mouth.

Last edited by Wh1t3NuKle; 11-26-2012 at 01:07 PM.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:06 PM
Eddie Burgess

Originally Posted by crazzywolfie
i also wonder how you are going to get 16.5" rims with 5 bolt pattern? i know older 3/4 and 1 ton trucks came with 16.5" rim but you would still need 8 bolt pattern axles.

It took a long time but I was able to find 16.5 5 lug wheels at a good price. I have 8 inch suspension and 3inch lift and have no problems with rubbing or anything and with my 5.9 there are no problems with turning the tires, plenty of power with an automatic trans

Last edited by Eddie Burgess; 11-26-2012 at 05:13 PM. Reason: add pic,
Old 11-27-2012, 09:08 PM
Jeff_Schlagel

Sounds good guys!
So what I'm looking at is at least $1100 to regear to 4.88,
hub adapters to go from 5 to 8 bolt pattern for the 16.5's
the 37" humvees
6" lift
I was also wondering if I could just go for a 5" lift and cut the fenders. I was hoping that would work and I could add some Bushwacker fender flares to make it look nicer. The only problem I see in that is some tire rub when I turn all the way in a direction.

Quick Reply: 37" Humvees