2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

OD solenoid.

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 01:48 PM
wjxavier
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by zman17
If that is so, then why does a new TCC/OD solenoid unit come with the harness attached? I think you are dealing with the Gov sensor and solenoid, not this.

No its that. Lol if you look at one up close, you can see that the wiring is only attached to the solenoid by a clip thats easily removed lol then i took a bobby pin and was able to remove the zip tie and resuse it lol pretty easy and fast. But it didnt fix my od off not working nor did it fix my down shifting problem lol

Old 11-24-2012, 04:21 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

That's because you didn't replace the harness too. Who knows if that's bad too without replacement.

Old 11-26-2012, 01:48 PM
wjxavier
Record Breaker

That plate, does it have a little hook looking thing? How do i get the plug out after i get that off?

Old 11-26-2012, 02:02 PM
wjxavier
Record Breaker

I dont understand how i can replace this harness without dropping the valve body. Anyone have pictures?

Old 11-26-2012, 02:23 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wjxavier
I dont understand how i can replace this harness without dropping the valve body. Anyone have pictures?
This might help.
Originally Posted by stewie01
Nope, didn't have to drop the valve body. This is a picture I found, may not be exactly the same as the 46RE, but the part we moved is the same and marked by arrows.

Remove the little plate then a spring falls out and when you least expect it a little cup looking like thingy falls out. Oh, when you take that piece (name?) off a spring shoots out the side at you....

The hole for the screw is on the top of that piece.

It's slightly more work getting the rest of the assembly out.

Old 11-26-2012, 02:29 PM
mantisman51
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Following along closely, since my OD no longer turns off either. When it first acted up I could get it to turn off by using something hard, like the 3/8" drill bit I kept in the ash tray, to push the button hard, but I had to push harder and harder until now it doesn't switch off. I'm wondering, after Xaviers experience, if it isn't the push button on the shifter and not the solenoid at all.

Old 11-26-2012, 05:54 PM
cutthroatxxx
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The job is pretty easy once you drop the filter you can tell what you need to do by looking @what's going on.I didn't have to drop thr valve body either.I didn't even end up needing to replace the tcc od solenoid @ all.I just had that code 37 which appears to be a ghost code.I. might have some pix let me check.&what stewed said is exactly how it goes that's all you need.

Last edited by cutthroatxxx; 11-26-2012 at 05:59 PM. Reason: didn't see stewies post
Old 11-26-2012, 07:12 PM
wjxavier
Record Breaker

Well i just spent all day doing this and learning along the way, however, the replacement did nothing for me. My torque converter is still locked up and i cant get it unlocked. Think im gonna sell it. Im done with it. Its making me clinically insane lol

Old 11-27-2012, 07:38 AM
wjxavier
Record Breaker
Default torque converter locked up

Need some assistance. On my way back to VA on sunday, it felt like my torque converter locked up on me. Every time i put it in gear, it stalls and the only way to get it to move is by giving it a push then gear it, or by gunning it and dropping it into gear.

I thought i had screwed something up when i did my OD solenoid change, so i dropped the pan and found i had pinched a wire in the harness while tightening the filter down. Positive that was the problem, i changed the harness.BUT, after i got everything back together and fired it up, dropped it in gear and it stalled.

So after a few choice words, i quit. Lol anyone got any ideas? Cheap affordable ideas (i.e. NOT get a viper) if i could just get it to unlock somehow...ive already tried unplugging it and resetting the PCM as well.

Old 11-27-2012, 10:19 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

Your threads have been merged since they are both asking the same questions.

Quick Reply: OD solenoid.