2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Not winning the transmission fluid leak battle....

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 03:04 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Not winning the transmission fluid leak battle....

Ok guys, I thought I had beat my transmission fluid leak, (you can say it zman!) we thought it was coming from the pan, but it appears not to be the case.

I circled the area the leak appears to be coming from, kicker is it's running downhill from above the pan.

There are all kinds of electrical lookin' connections in that area but I didn't see any transmission fluid lines, but I could have over looked them.

Need some help, are there any lines in particular I should be looking at on that side? The front of the pan and passenger side is try, the leak is in the circled area.

Old 01-16-2012, 03:42 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,220 Likes on 2,971 Posts

Crab a couple cans of brake cleaner, and get all the crap off the side of the trans there. Clean as much as you can. Once it's all nice and clean, take it for a ride, then, follow the trail.

That's the drivers side, right? Could be leaking from the neutral safety switch there, either around the threads, or the switch itself may have sprung a leek, also the seal where the linkage goes in. A mirror might help you find it. (once things are clean....)

Old 01-16-2012, 03:55 PM
stewie01
Legend

The pan it much cleaner then that picture, it's just the one I had covered in fluid.

It appears to be coming from the A/Trans Solenoid, it's coming from above the neutral safety switch. Sound about right?

I'm guessing it's either crapped out or the O rings are gone....... To think all that work on the wrong friggin' thing...............................

That's what I found, local dealer has one in stock for $118. Rockauto has them for $90 + shipping, so it'd be easier just to buy local.

Last edited by stewie01; 01-16-2012 at 03:59 PM.
Old 01-16-2012, 04:15 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

The part you have pictured is the governor pressure solenoid. That's internal to the trans, you can't see it without dropping the pan. That isn't causing your leak. The electrical part you see in your pic is the Park/Neutral switch. (neutral safety switch, whateveryawannacallit)

I meant clean off the trans housing itself. Lotsa stuff up there to make finding the source of the leak more difficult. Clean everything off really well, and pink fluid will show up MUCH better.

Old 01-16-2012, 04:34 PM
stewie01
Legend

Well poop.

I looked through the FSM and couldn't find a decent diagram and found a few online which is why I thought it was the a/t soleniod. I'm going under the truck to try and get a good real time picture, and boy I tell yea with the truck just sitting on level ground and off it's leaking red fluid like a women on her period.....

If it helps any this is what I was going by

Old 01-16-2012, 04:57 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Looking at the picture, and trying to find a better one.... I have absolutely no clue what they are referring to when the say "automatic transmission solenoid"...... now, one would think that would be an external part, considering the nature of the diagram....... I even went so far as to go out and look at mine.. but, there is a driveshaft in the way, the driveway is REALLY sloppy, and I don't wanna crawl under there. It DID look like there was a cooler line in that neighborhood though.....

I checked out the diagram at wittrans..... and wasn't able to come up with the A/T solenoid..... now you got me curious....

Old 01-16-2012, 05:00 PM
stewie01
Legend

This is as good as pic as I can get, it's sorta buried in there, I can wiggle it around and pick up on it just a tad, and can see the base just a little.

It's the one that says "SLCT" then a whole bunch of numbers.....

I took the truck around a bit but can't seem to get it to leak now that I got an actual picture of the suspect.

Trending Topics

Old 01-16-2012, 05:10 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

I wonder if that is the 8 pin electrical connector for the solenoids and such in the trans..... might be a screw going in from on top holding that in place.... maybe..... probably has an o-ring seal. How many wires go to that feller?

Old 01-16-2012, 05:37 PM
stewie01
Legend

It would appear there are 8, can't make out too many colors. The wires go into the plastic piece directly in the center on the top, I can't feel any screws or anything.

Old 01-16-2012, 05:44 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Ah, I think it is just mislabeled in the diagram then. Looking at the diagram in the 01 service manual, on page 8w-90-17, figure 10, that is indeed the connector for all the solenoids. The picture doesn't really show how it locks...... (nor does the pinout pic...) Probably gonna have to drop the trans pan again, and take a look at the inside, No clue which side has the seal on it.

Quick Reply: Not winning the transmission fluid leak battle....