2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2nd Gen EFI in a 1st Gen

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 03:16 PM
Scooter78
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by crazzywolfie
this is probably the best idea anyways. then you can put your headlights and other things on relays that car companies did not put on relays until a lot later.

That is exactly what I'll do. Might as well put all my heavy load items on relays. Headlights, heater blower, ASD...ext.

you might be able to use a vehicle speed sensor out of a 91 or so dodge ram. should just screw into the transfer case but then you would also have to get an electric speedo unless you could find a speed sensor out of a 88-89 ram or 88-93 Dakota. they are suppose to be able to be hooked up to mechanical or electrical speedo's.
That is worth looking into. Maybe instead of deleting the cruise control wiring, I'll just loom it together and stash it out of sight for a while.
Anything else seem like a bad idea on my list? I'm more than open to other suggestions. Thanks guys.

Old 02-16-2013, 05:23 PM
Scooter78
Captain

Am I going to have any trouble from not hooking up gauges/warning lamps? For example: I had an 88 Ford truck that wouldnt charge and destroyed several alternators before I figured out that the "Battery" warning idiot light had burned out. That was the only problem. Is Dodge the same way, or does it not care if the warning light bulb is burned out (non-existant)?

Old 02-16-2013, 06:25 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

i don't think they care but i think your stock gauges and warning lights should hook right up to the new sensors.

Old 02-16-2013, 07:32 PM
Scooter78
Captain

Originally Posted by crazzywolfie
i don't think they care but i think your stock gauges and warning lights should hook right up to the new sensors.
Thats what I was hoping for, but I have decided that I am going to install a couple of dummy lights like these: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/rn...2/media/images for my "low oil pressure" warning as well as my CEL. Still havent decided if I am going to mount the CEL in plain view, or hidden because Im sure it will be on all the time due to the lack of VSS and no info from the trans.
You think if I wire the oil pressure switch and temp sensor from the '94 to my '78 cluster, it will work? That would be great!

Old 02-16-2013, 07:42 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend

i would check the current instrument cluster and see if there is a low oil pressure light hole or something. i know i set it up so that my maintance reminder thing lights up when my electric fans turn on. i would guess your truck might have a couple extra lights like that. i am pretty sure the new sensors should work with the old gauges. some people install the new sensors so they can have gauge and dummy light.
http://www.allpar.com/history/mopar/electrical2.html

Old 02-16-2013, 09:03 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,278 Likes on 3,025 Posts

Oil pressure, and engine temp will hook right up and work just fine. There already is a low oil pressure light in the lower right side of the speedo. (whichever big gauge is on the left, can't recall which right now.) Fuel gauge will of course work, my only question would be on the voltmeter....... not sure how you would handle that one. Don't waste the money on the additional lights. Don't need 'em.

Old 02-16-2013, 09:28 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend

he is going to use the 78's gauge cluster so those lights may not be there. if he uses the stock sending unit and installs a fuel pump somewhere then i don't think he should have a single problem as far as gauges go. they have not changed too much in the last 30-40 years.

Old 02-16-2013, 09:42 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,278 Likes on 3,025 Posts

DOH! Forgot that minor detail......

Old 02-16-2013, 09:46 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend

ya. that is where swapping new stuff into old trucks gets confusing. i know there are some people that actually swap dashes and instrument cluster to newer style when they have done similar swaps.

Old 02-17-2013, 08:10 AM
Scooter78
Captain

Is my ammeter/voltmeter going to function properly? I know that with the factory '78 setup, if my wires on the back of the instrument cluster going to the ammeter come loose, the whole truck stops working. Wont even crank.

wolfie - Yes, I am going to use the stock fuel sending unit and install an inline pump. That way, as you mentioned, my fuel gauge will work as intended.

Last edited by Scooter78; 02-17-2013 at 08:12 AM.