2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2nd Gen EFI in a 1st Gen

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 09:58 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,397 Likes on 3,137 Posts

No experience with them, and no mention of brands of parts included in the kit. May want to call/email them, and ask. If they are known good brand parts, go for it, otherwise, pass on it, and buy local.

Old 03-24-2013, 02:55 PM
Scooter78
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I may have made a mistake. It seems that for some reason, I downplayed the importance of having the lifters back in there original positions when reusing them. Everything else is clearly marked for location. Pistons, bearing caps ect... all marked. Not the lifters. Am I going to have issues? Can I polish them up a bit to lessen prior wear patterns? (Little to none visible to the un-assisted eye)

Old 03-25-2013, 09:06 PM
Scooter78
Captain

Originally Posted by HeyYou
No experience with them, and no mention of brands of parts included in the kit. May want to call/email them, and ask. If they are known good brand parts, go for it, otherwise, pass on it, and buy local.
So, I did as you suggested and got this as a response:

"Its an Enginetech kit, but they get their parts manufactured by these companies. They dont manufacture anything themselves.
Rings-Hastings
Bearings-King
Gaskets-Clevite Company (same comp that makes the Victor Reinz)

I hope that helps. thanks!
-Dustin"

I have heard of each of those companies and I have had experience with "King" bearings as well as "Clevite/Victor Reinz" gaskets. I know that Hastings rings are popular in tuner builds, but I havent used them in domestic light truck engines. I think I am going to get it, unless anyone sees anything that screams "Run Away!"

Old 03-26-2013, 07:15 AM
Scooter78
Captain

Hey guys... Being as my engine came out of a donor vehicle, I dont have any of the original fuel line. What size should I be running? 1/4"? Im pretty sure the factory used hard steel lines, but I plan on going with EFI rated rubber.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:40 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Fuel line is, I think... 3/8ths. It runs at 50 PSI, so, not sure that hose clamps are going to work very well. (and you would hate to find out that the answer to that question is "No".....)

Setting up a custom fuel system, with a return line.... would be a good way to go here.

Old 03-26-2013, 01:24 PM
Scooter78
Captain

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Fuel line is, I think... 3/8ths. It runs at 50 PSI, so, not sure that hose clamps are going to work very well. (and you would hate to find out that the answer to that question is "No".....)

Setting up a custom fuel system, with a return line.... would be a good way to go here.
I was under the impression that ideally, I want 39psi.

Quote from 1995 service manual:
"Fuel Pressure Regulator Operation: ...

The pressure regulator is calibrated to maintain fuel system

operating pressure of approximately 241-310 kPa (35-45

psi) at the fuel injectors..."

I think the 50psi version arrived a couple years later? I was planning on running an inline pump as close to the tank as I can get, and then shortly afterwords, have a fuel pressure regulator set at about 40psi with a return line from the regulator. My fuel rail is a '94 vintage, so as far as I know, there was no return line from the fuel rail. Also, I will be using EFI rated clamps. Not the junk- worm gear style. Am I on the right path here?

Last edited by Scooter78; 03-26-2013 at 01:54 PM.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:23 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Scooter78
I was under the impression that ideally, I want 39psi.

Quote from 1995 service manual:
"Fuel Pressure Regulator Operation: ...

The pressure regulator is calibrated to maintain fuel system

operating pressure of approximately 241-310 kPa (35-45

psi) at the fuel injectors..."

I think the 50psi version arrived a couple years later? I was planning on running an inline pump as close to the tank as I can get, and then shortly afterwords, have a fuel pressure regulator set at about 40psi with a return line from the regulator. My fuel rail is a '94 vintage, so as far as I know, there was no return line from the fuel rail. Also, I will be using EFI rated clamps. Not the junk- worm gear style. Am I on the right path here?

You are correct that a 95 is 39lbs. But I agree, I'd get the right/oem fuel line. Better yet, what is wrong with the original line? If it doesn't connect to the fuel rail, then put your original rail on the new motor. Of course if you are talking about this motor in a 78, then I'll shutup. LOL

Old 03-27-2013, 08:24 AM
Scooter78
Captain

Originally Posted by zman17
You are correct that a 95 is 39lbs. But I agree, I'd get the right/oem fuel line. Better yet, what is wrong with the original line? If it doesn't connect to the fuel rail, then put your original rail on the new motor. Of course if you are talking about this motor in a 78, then I'll shutup. LOL
Then shut up! Just kidding! My "original fuel rail" is a carb.
I was looking at these clamps, unless someone has something better: http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Fuel-Injector-Hose-Clamps-5-16-injection-/121065908235?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c3017280b&vxp=mtr
Also, side note:
I took a chance and ordered the Double Roller timing set from Elgin (P/N TC3028). It showed up THE NEXT DAY! Quality looks great and everything mic's out to be exactly like the original. It was $35.99, shipping included, Made in the USA, (About 4 hours from me, actually) and they had fantastic customer service. I feel like it was a win.
So, even though it says it only fits up to 1989, it WILL work on Magnums. I was pretty confident it would, being as it had an interchange number with the Cloyes chain, that we know works on Magnums.

Last edited by Scooter78; 03-27-2013 at 08:26 AM. Reason: Didnt have enough coffee when typing the first time.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:41 AM
Scooter78
Captain

New Double Roller timing chain
Name:  timingchain_zps657f02dd.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  68.9 KB

Old 03-27-2013, 10:19 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

You can get the fuel fittings in the help section of your local parts store. I would seriously consider using -an fittings, as opposed to hose clamps though.

39 PSI is correct..... I am thinkin' newer trucks.