2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Anyone else have window freezing problem?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 09:38 PM
JoshSlash87
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Anyone else have window freezing problem?

This has happened to me a few times since it got cold in fall and now into winter its annoying! I'll pull up to the drive thru and have to open my door cuz the window is frozen. One night I took my pocket knife out and slid it between the rubber thinking it was frozen there and window still wouldn't go down. After about a half hour of the truck warming up the window went down. In Winter the window actually broke its bond off the track and I had to re-glue it. Its a very annoying issue and happens to both of my windows.

And yes they are power windows!.

Anyone have a cure for this?

Old 01-18-2013, 10:12 PM
kejobe
Record Breaker
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Heated garage.

Old 01-18-2013, 10:22 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I keep my windows cracked open just a smig over night or after a wash, I also use a good spray silicon lubricant on the window edge and on the rubber/felt seal.

Not my first pick but it will give you an idea.

http://www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/infxtra/infsil.html

Old 01-18-2013, 10:34 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,275 Likes on 3,022 Posts

Originally Posted by merc225hp
I keep my windows cracked open just a smig over night or after a wash, I also use a good spray silicon lubricant on the window edge and on the rubber/felt seal.

Not my first pick but it will give you an idea.

http://www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/infxtra/infsil.html
This is probably the best idea.... (aside from the heated garage. )

Old 01-18-2013, 10:37 PM
Zakkmann
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Happens to my windows all the time, The spray silicon sounds like a good idea, and of course a heated garage if you have that luxury.

Last edited by Zakkmann; 01-18-2013 at 10:41 PM.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:37 PM
dlyter09
Champion

I usually just take my balled up gorilla hand and pound across the bottom of the window a few times.. Usually works.. Unless it is one of those stupid cold nights.. Then just let the heat run and thaw it out

Old 01-19-2013, 05:35 AM
Truedge
Professional

I've had this problem forever. I used to take a thin putty scraper to the window before I took off anywhere in the winter to make sure that I can get it to roll down. Also, if I knew we weren't gonna get any new snow I'd leave the windows down just a crack. I ended up doing that more than the putty knife after I lost the knife

The new dodge challengers have a real problem with this as well. I know this first hand now what I have read in there fourms( since you can't leave the windows down a crack,they roll up automatically if there down a bit) is to use d windshield de-icer such as the prestone version that says it also prevents re-icing. I just bought some of this the other day to try it out and it does the job ok on frost/ light ice situations. So this may be an option as well

Old 01-20-2013, 01:36 AM
h3lzsn1p3r
Captain

wax the seal at the top works great i had this problem daily in our canadian winters i no longer have a problem

Old 01-20-2013, 02:15 AM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

if you are that worried out keeping your window from freezing you should plug your block heater in at night. i know when i plug my block heater in overnight my temp gauge is usually at 140* by the time i am pulling out of the driveway which is warm enough to defrost windows. if i don't have it plugged in it take a couple blocks to get to 140*.

Old 01-20-2013, 04:02 AM
JoshSlash87
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by crazzywolfie
if you are that worried out keeping your window from freezing you should plug your block heater in at night. i know when i plug my block heater in overnight my temp gauge is usually at 140* by the time i am pulling out of the driveway which is warm enough to defrost windows. if i don't have it plugged in it take a couple blocks to get to 140*.
Here lies the problem my good friend, when you're at the bar for 4 hours in Wisconsin and your truck window frosts up and you want to go to the 24 hour Mc Donalds a few blocks away, the window freezing becomes a huge issue lol. The next few days call for highs of -1 to 5 above, so for when I'm at home the block heater is a great idea, thanks for reminding me about it! I almost totally forgot I had one on my truck

But on a side note for the bar, maybe I should just jack an extension cord to an outlet outside the bar? haha.

And with my 180 Thermostat it takes about 20 minutes to warm up real nice. I love my Neon in that respect, it will BAKE you out of the car in 12-15 minutes.

Quick Reply: Anyone else have window freezing problem?