2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1998 dodge ram 1500 won't turn over

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 05:13 PM
Pacman_777
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is getting 3.5-7. Top terminal that is. And pin 30 is now getting 11.5/12 volts. Since I started messing around with better grounds.

Old 02-10-2013, 05:30 PM
h3lzsn1p3r
Captain

ok if the relay clicks it is good i should only click once the issue u are describing seems to be the little wire to the starter it gets power from the relay .

take a wire go from the positive cable on the starter witch is the big one (with it still on the starter ) to the little tabe the small wire ataches to the starter should roll over

if the above test worked replace small wire that goes to the starter.

Old 02-10-2013, 06:04 PM
Pacman_777
Amateur

Alright. So where on that little wire do I hook up at? Since everything is covered by plastic. Both the wire end and solenoid side Are plastic, so to make sure I'm doing it properly. How do I get the wire from the battery cable to the small one when there is nothing to connect to?

Old 02-10-2013, 06:13 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Pacman_777
On fuse 9. The bottom terminal is getting 11.5 volts and the top terminal is getting about 3.5. And the starter relay clicks. But only as soon as the key is turned over. There is no continuous click... Is there suppose to be?
Alright. So where on that little wire do I hook up at? Since everything is covered by plastic. Both the wire end and solenoid side Are plastic, so to make sure I'm doing it properly. How do I get the wire from the battery cable to the small one when there is nothing to connect to?
Somewhere you are losing continuity. Should be getting 12v (or close to it depending on battery charge level).

And th relay should only click once when energized, then when de-energized. No continuous clicking.

Double check all the grounds. Back of head on pass side to firewall, batt neg to frame below battery, batt neg to fender by battery, and especially the one to the engine block. Iwould remove each one, clean the connector and mating surface, then reinstall tightly. If that does not fix it, I would disconnect battery, then remove PDC and flip it over. Look for corrosion or broken wire on bottom.

Old 02-10-2013, 06:26 PM
Pacman_777
Amateur

Gdstock... I have cleaned all of those grounds except the one to the engine block. Only because I don't know where that one is or what it looks like. I have removed the pdc already and I can't find any broken or loose or dirty wires. Everything under the lid looks damn near brand new. I've messed with the security system. And I have disconnected and reconnected the brain. The solenoid isn't getting power. And I just don't know if its from the 85 pin on the relay. Or the wire itself is burnt out.

Old 02-10-2013, 06:58 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Gdstock... I have cleaned all of those grounds except the one to the engine block. Only because I don't know where that one is or what it looks like. I have removed the pdc already and I can't find any broken or loose or dirty wires. Everything under the lid looks damn near brand new. I've messed with the security system. And I have disconnected and reconnected the brain. The solenoid isn't getting power. And I just don't know if its from the 85 pin on the relay. Or the wire itself is burnt out.

Go to battery negative, the big wire. It should connect to engine by the power steering pump. Not the easiest thing to get to! But if it is not good, it cannot pull enough current to turn starter over. Some low load things will work, but not ht e heavy load.

Old 02-10-2013, 10:45 PM
h3lzsn1p3r
Captain

take the little wire off of the starter then put the wire to the contact in side the connector on the solinoid it should jump the starter if it does take an ohmm meter to the end of the little wire and the other lead to the 87 port where the relay plugs in the pdc

Quick Reply: 1998 dodge ram 1500 won't turn over