2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

46RE Transmission Slip at 2k?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 06:18 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 46RE Transmission Slip at 2k?

Well it's no secret I've had some weird shifting for a lil while now. Honestly, I've been optimistic (maybe blindly) that maybe all it needs is some upgraded solenoids.

Anywho, I took a video while out on US58, you can see and hear the slip/issue right at the shift at 2k RPM, it does it twice in the video, once in the beginning, and then again towards the end.

Yes I know I'm in overdrive, it does it regardless of in Overdrive or with Overdrive Off. And I've noticed if I start out in 2nd Gear it's barley noticeable.

Is this real slippage or maybe something else?

Yes I know my CEL is on, that is because I haven't done the non fouler trick for my non existent cat yet, but I can verify tomorrow while at the part's house.

Checked transmission fluid (the right way) and it is a bit low but I don't have any ATF+4 at the house, will get some tomorrow and see if that helps any.

What ya'll think?

Old 02-05-2013, 06:34 PM
dlyter09
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It could be worth a try to change fluid and solenoids along with a band adjustment.. Didnt you just recently do this though? How is your fluid looking? Still clean?

Old 02-05-2013, 06:37 PM
stewie01
Legend

Originally Posted by dlyter09
It could be worth a try to change fluid and solenoids along with a band adjustment.. Didnt you just recently do this though? How is your fluid looking? Still clean?
Yes I did a rear band adjustment when we got back to Georgia (for loss of reverse)

I haven't dropped the pan to see if anything is floating around or if any metal on the magnet, but fluid is clean and non burnt smelling.

Old 02-05-2013, 06:44 PM
dlyter09
Champion

Was there any debris last time you dropped it? It may be getting to that time for a rebuild...

Old 02-05-2013, 06:49 PM
stewie01
Legend

None. Is was all clean (trying to find those pics now.....)

Here's that thread with pics after I dropped the pan and the issue.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...vy-load-2.html

I think zman cursed me

Old 02-05-2013, 06:58 PM
dlyter09
Champion

I think he did to... Not much else it could be

Old 02-05-2013, 08:28 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

Is it trying to shift at that point? It didn't seem that way to me...... I would guess something is slipping at any rate.....

I suppose it wouldn't hurt to drop the pan, and try adjusting the front band as well. Maybe check the governor pressure solenoid to see if it is clogging up at all..... Won't hurt to clean it.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:45 PM
stewie01
Legend

Originally Posted by dlyter09
I think he did to... Not much else it could be
Even the Entry Level Viper Tranmission is friggin' expensive. Almost $3 grand. Ouch.

Might have to ship it to gdstock for a rebuild

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Is it trying to shift at that point? It didn't seem that way to me...... I would guess something is slipping at any rate.....

I suppose it wouldn't hurt to drop the pan, and try adjusting the front band as well. Maybe check the governor pressure solenoid to see if it is clogging up at all..... Won't hurt to clean it.
It sure does feel like a shift, it's much more noticeable in stop and go traffic. As mentioned I can ease the slippage by starting out in 2nd.

Wouldn't the shift to 2nd be in that RPM range somewhere?

Say you've got a manual transmission, you shift into whatever gear, release the clutch, then immediately push the clutch in and push on the accelerator=engine rev, then release the clutch. That's what it feels like, I've got almost no power while the RPM's are bouncing around.

I did a couple of WOT runs, and it's sad. The shift/slip kills the power. Then it comes back as shown in the vid.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:50 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

Does the engine lose power, or are you simply not getting it to the ground? If the latter, yeah, that's the trans slipping...

Old 02-05-2013, 08:53 PM
stewie01
Legend

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Does the engine lose power, or are you simply not getting it to the ground? If the latter, yeah, that's the trans slipping...
I don't think it's getting to the ground. Engine feels strong, but truck overall is kinda weak.

I'm thinking it's pan drop time. Go from there.

Quick Reply: 46RE Transmission Slip at 2k?