2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Yet another Evap thread...

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 12:29 AM
Yinzer
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yet another Evap thread...

Hiya folks, I have a problem... and that problem is a CEL that's been following me for 4 years now. I have replaced the charcoal filter, evap canister, every inch of hose, every hose junction, the solenoid, pump, filter and at least 5 gas caps... and the ****ing codes keep coming back. I've also spent a good deal of time on the smoke machine at my buddy's garage with absolutely ZERO success. We came to the scientific conclusion that Clifford is cursed. With my annual PA inspection coming up in a few months... I really don't wanna play the "beat the drive cycle monitors" game again. I dug through the forums here searching for an answer, but the solution to everybody's problems seems to be something I have already done. With over a couple hundred bucks into the Evap system alone, I am getting sick and tired of dealing with. Anybody have any advice on some secret dark magic to get it stop being such a jerk? I am not an electrical technician by any means, but this is the only car I've worked on that I've had a CEL come back EVERY. DAMN. TIME. I am not going to remove the Evap system, that'd be just plain dumb... but is there any way to trick it into thinking life is good? Hell, you help me figure out what's up and you live close enough, I'll get ya a case of beer or lunch or SOMETHING. I just want the Evap curse lifted from poor ol' Clifford.

Last edited by Yinzer; 02-09-2013 at 12:31 AM.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:58 AM
xplorer82
Professional

Take a good look at the filler neck if you havent. Make sure you look for cracks where the pump nozzle enters the filler neck.. That was the problem on my other 2 trucks.

Old 02-09-2013, 12:17 PM
dlyter09
Champion

What codes are you getting? That may help us a little bit

Old 02-09-2013, 10:04 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

And of course check gas cap seal.

Old 02-11-2013, 11:29 PM
Yinzer
Professional

Right now, the codes are clear since I reflashed the ECM a few days ago, so in another day or so the codes should come back! They were small leak, gross leak, and no flow. I'll check the stuff you guys suggested and get back to ya. Thanks everybody!!

Old 02-12-2013, 06:03 PM
Yinzer
Professional

Alright fellas, the codes have returned! It was weird having the check engine light off.
They are:
Code:
P0455: Gross Leak/No Flow
Code:
P0442: Small Leak

Old 02-12-2013, 06:19 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

You have a line off somewhere.

Old 03-06-2013, 10:20 AM
eisej
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a similar "gremlin" in my 2006 Infiniti G35. I couldn't get rid of it unless I cleared it but it would come back once the EVAP test completed. I did all the usual things. The thing that fixed itwas a green scrubby to take off any corosion on the filler neck lip. I then bought a cheap replacement gas cap but I didn't use the cap. I just took the O ring/gasket off of it. I put just a very light coating of vaseline around the O ring and put it on the original gas cap after cleaning the original cap (I soaked it in warm water with a little degreaser for a while and let it dry COMPLETELY). I then cleared the code with my OBDII. It took a week or so for the EVAP test to run but it hasn't come on since and that was three months ago. This is after it was on for about 2 years.

Good luck. EVAP systems bite IMHO.

Quick Reply: Yet another Evap thread...