2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2001 ram very doggy. HELP!?!

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 11:16 AM
gertie240
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The death flash was Dodges answer to the leaking plenum it retards the timing so the symptoms would not be noticed as early.

Old 02-17-2013, 11:20 AM
gertie240
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And a tuner will change the timing and transmission shift points so your truck will use the higher RPM band where the real horsepower is

Old 02-17-2013, 11:36 AM
redneck_ram
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gertie240
And a tuner will change the timing and transmission shift points so your truck will use the higher RPM band where the real horsepower is
straight from sean(hemifever)

"can/as is" tuning will run $265. I generally include 3 tunes. I'll increase your speed limiter and reduce/remove tq mgmt where applicable. I change the timing and fuel curve but no extra improvement customizations for cam/heads are applied. I'll use a timing curve that works really well for stock to bolt on configs. Where applicable, shift points are changed. If for some reason the tune is too aggressive for your octane quality I will correct that. If you choose this option and then want custom programming later it's $100 or $200 depending on the custom programming option needed.

Old 02-17-2013, 12:17 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,273 Likes on 3,020 Posts

Check out the Death Flash thread in the faq/diy forum.

Old 02-17-2013, 01:16 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Codynetz2001
That also has crossed my mind. But when I bought the truck 2 years ago I was told it was replaced. He had receipts and everything. But I think he just did the stock gasket. Not the Hughes performance replacement. How should I go about checking this. My mpgs are low too. Oh and thanks for the warm welcome ��

Just to set the record straight, there is no such thing as anyone's performace replacement gasket for this. Good FelPro gasket is all you need. The aluminum replacement plate which is 1/4" thick can be found for less on ebay. If using the original plate, shorten the bolts. I used the ebay plate and felpro gasket and it is still good. Replace the PCV (couple of bucks from dealer) while you are there.

Originally Posted by ReadRam
If the plenum gasket was blown , then your catalytic converter and 02 sensors would be toast and should've been replaced after plenum repair. A compression test would help get an idea of overall condition of motor. Bad upstream 02 will run rich and dump extra fuel. Velkommen DF.
Remove upstream O2 sensor and tie it off, leaveing the hole open, Crank it up and take a drive. If it runs better, then the cat is clogging or clogged and needs to be replaced.

Originally Posted by Codynetz2001
What is the death flash? I've never heard of it. What does the tuner actually correct

It is part of the programming in the PCM to cover up one problem, but creates others.

Old 02-17-2013, 05:44 PM
Codynetz2001
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great info guys I'll take out that o2 and see

Quick Reply: 2001 ram very doggy. HELP!?!