2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Trans temp o\d light, aftermarket cooler installed.. have flow..

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 08:53 PM
kuzzy
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans temp o\d light, aftermarket cooler installed.. have flow..

Alright guys.. I got a 99 ram 5.2 4x4 auto...

I had a problem with the tranny b4 with no reverse/gears weird shifting.. so i adjusted the bands replaced the filter and did a fluid flush.. that helped but i had to go easy with the truck. One day i didn't and lost reverse again. so i got pissed and replaced the tranny with one i took off my parts truck (98 ram 5.2 2wd). i had to convert the 2wd tranny to adapt to the 4x4 with the transfercase. got that installed.. so while topping up the fluid/checking it, i herd weird noises coming from the tranny as i was shifting through the gears (as if there was no tranny fluid flow). so i ended up getting an aftermarket cooler installed. job was complete. 5 min after running trans temp and o/d light came on.. (FU#$) checked the fluid and it was a little plugged up and had no flow... delete the check valve and had flow.. however still have the trans light and o/d coming on. so i'm trying to keep calm and not smash the truck right about now and resorted to you guys for some help..

already tried check/cleaning connections..
only used mobile 1 atf +4
maybe something with a 2wd tranny converted to a 4x4?? (noob)
also to mention after taking it for a 5-10 min cruise/test when i got back the truck will shut off by itself (safty/limp mode maybe)

i dont think its the gov' sens or trans temp sens as the tranny had no problems in the parts truck...

HELP

Old 02-18-2013, 10:40 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,270 Likes on 3,017 Posts

I would flush the cooler lines, and the coolers..... Disconnect at trans, and run fluid into the rearmost line. Have the front line dump into a bucket. Use mineral spirits, or similar solvent. Run it thru till it comes out clean, and you are SURE you have good flow. Flush again with a quart of ATF, and reassemble things. See if that helps.

Old 02-19-2013, 12:11 AM
kuzzy
Amateur

I have flushed the lines from the start of the supply( from tranny) through cooler to the end where return line goes into tranny.. Flushed 4 quarts through.
Got the same trans temp o/d crud..

However noticed the flow and doesn't seem like there's all that good flow..
Anyone know what pressure it should be? I just feel that it doesn't have the pressure it should..
One thing to add, the bottom of the tranny pan is pretty dended up ( as if someone messed it up when jacking up the tranny.. Ok it was me) could this possibly interfere with the pick up tub, if there even is one.. Not a tranny guy..

Old 02-19-2013, 01:02 AM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Also not a auto trany guy, but I did find this info in the 2001 fsm, page 2122. The fsm can be downloaded free in the diy area. There is lot's of good info on this test in there.

DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING - HYDRAULIC
PRESSURE TEST
Hydraulic test pressures range from a low of one
psi (6.895 kPa) governor pressure, to 300 psi (2068
kPa) at the rear servo pressure port in reverse.
An accurate tachometer and pressure test gauges
are required. Test Gauge C-3292 has a 100 psi range
and is used at the accumulator, governor, and front
servo ports. Test Gauge C-3293-SP has a 300 psi
range and is used at the rear servo and overdrive
ports where pressures exceed 100 psi.

Last edited by merc225hp; 02-19-2013 at 01:05 AM.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:56 AM
kuzzy
Amateur

hmmmm... confusing lol

Old 02-19-2013, 12:23 PM
kuzzy
Amateur

ok, just curious about this...

knowing as the tranny fluid pan is dented... would the dented pan cause the tranny filter to interfere with eachother and somehow and causing low fluid pressure?

is it worth getting messy and taking the pan off to check it out... think i may install a drain plug lol...

also talk with buddy that sold me the parts truck (family friend) and he assured me that the tranny worked great and had no problems..

Old 02-19-2013, 12:32 PM
kuzzy
Amateur

OIL PUMP VOLUME CHECK

After the new or repaired transmission has been installed, fill to the proper level with Mopar® ATF PLUS 3 (Type 7176) automatic transmission fluid. The volume should be checked using the following procedure:
  1. Disconnect the From coolerline at the transmission and place a collecting container under the disconnected line.
Caution: With the fluid set at the proper level, fluid collection should not exceed (1) quart or internal damage to the transmission may occur.
  1. Run the engine at curb idle speed, with the shift selector in neutral.
  2. If fluid flow is intermittent or it takes more than 20 seconds to collect one quart of ATF PLUS 3, disconnect the To Coolerline at the transaxle.
  3. Refill the transaxle to proper level and recheck pump volume.
  4. If flow is found to be within acceptable limits, replace the cooler. Then fill transmission to the proper level, using Mopar® ATF PLUS 3 (Type 7176) automatic transmission fluid.
  5. If fluid flow is still found to be inadequate, check the line pressure using the Transaxle Hydraulic Pressure Test procedure.

i'm going to try this now and let ya'll know..

Old 02-19-2013, 12:32 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I would drop the pan and install a new deep pan or just fix the org one.

Old 02-19-2013, 09:11 PM
kuzzy
Amateur

alright i got the pan off.. welded on a drain plug.. got a new filter, straightened the pan out.. filled it back up with fluid and still the same old ****.

when i was shifting from park to neutral to check the tranny fluid level, the tranny still made a small whine when i put it in reverse... so i got to neutral toped it off.. drove outa the garage.. looked good.. once i punched the gas a bit the o/d came on and soon after the trans temp light.. F**# back to the garage... I'm running outa options..

note: however thinking there may be something going on with the throttle cable area going to the tranny.. because when i took it for a test drive before, the tranny shifted great worked great and o/d worked when i feathered the throttle, and when i was on my way back i went slightly harder but right after the o/d kicked out, o/d light came on, abnormal shifting(rpm ranges) and then trans temp light.. and today the tranny was fine till i punched the gas and instantly the o/d light came on..

my brother mentioned something about when i converted the 2wd tranny to the 4wd adapter to fit the transfer case.. that the fluid journals may be different and there may be no flow going to there..

Last edited by kuzzy; 02-19-2013 at 09:14 PM.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:41 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,270 Likes on 3,017 Posts

If the light is coming on that soon..... Replace the trans governor pressure sensor. Temp sensor is integrated into that as well. I think yours is toast.

Quick Reply: Trans temp o\d light, aftermarket cooler installed.. have flow..