2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Changing Water Pump and Valve cover gasket. Are these right part(s)?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 05:18 PM
Metalgearsolid_x
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Changing Water Pump and Valve cover gasket. Are these right part(s)?

Hi guys,
I am new owner of a 98 Dodge Ram (Laramie SLT 4WD Single cab/full bed). You can see my welcome thread here: https://dodgeforum.com/forum/new-mem...e-slt-4wd.html

My mechanic tells me I have a leaking water pump and slow leaking valve cover. So he will change them next week (hopefully pending weather). Before I click "BUY IT NOW", I wanted to make sure I'm buying the right part and since you guys are long time owner and have much more experience in this chassis. I wanted to know if I should stay away from certain brand or parts etc.

For water pump, I'm going with Gates 43034 . It cost about $38.79 from RockAuto

For Valve Cover Gasket, I'm getting FEL-PRO Permadry Part # VS50419R It costs about $19.27 from same ROCKAUTO

What do you guys say? Both parts are good to go?

Also, I have another question: Since both these parts will be changed, what other adjacent small (cheap) things I can replace along the way they'll be easy to access due to engine being taken apart? (belt, plugs, etc).

thank you for your time!

Old 03-07-2013, 05:29 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Check the rock auto discount thread in the general section!'

The timing chain is only a couple bolts more with the pump already off. A good double roller is around 50 bucks. Not sure if rockauto has them but I bet they do! Just make sure you get a double roller!

Tune up stuff like plugs, wires, cap and rotor, are always good to replace if the parts are old but don't really depend the pump.

Check the Stickied Plenum Thread PRONTO!!!

Old 03-07-2013, 05:41 PM
guzman
Professional

You did not say how many miles or if you have any history on the truck?? If none replace serpentine belt and check the idler and tension pulleys, replace the bypass hose connected to water pump and intake, check/replace radiator/heater hoses, and like Ham Bone says check the plenum sticky if you are going to have someone tear apart the front of the motor you may as well address this issue. Enjoy the Dodge!

Old 03-08-2013, 04:58 AM
Metalgearsolid_x

Originally Posted by Ham Bone
Check the rock auto discount thread in the general section!'

The timing chain is only a couple bolts more with the pump already off. A good double roller is around 50 bucks. Not sure if rockauto has them but I bet they do! Just make sure you get a double roller!

Tune up stuff like plugs, wires, cap and rotor, are always good to replace if the parts are old but don't really depend the pump.

Check the Stickied Plenum Thread PRONTO!!!
Thanks Ham bone. Just found the ROCAUTO thread . I just read teh plenum sticky. wow.. so many instances on this. I'll talk to my mechanic about it.

Originally Posted by guzman
You did not say how many miles or if you have any history on the truck?? If none replace serpentine belt and check the idler and tension pulleys, replace the bypass hose connected to water pump and intake, check/replace radiator/heater hoses, and like Ham Bone says check the plenum sticky if you are going to have someone tear apart the front of the motor you may as well address this issue. Enjoy the Dodge!
I have 98,000 miles. I just bought the car in November. Priors to me, only one original owner since 98 (per carfax). So i really don't know the history of the car. But it seems like it's in very good shape (taken car of). I will check all the stuff you've asked me. Will my mechanic have to take apart the intake or phelum part to get to valve cover gasket? or he can JUST replace the valve cover gaskets without taking off phelum? Thank you.

Old 03-08-2013, 09:00 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Valve cover gaskets don't require removal of intake, or much of anything else for that matter.....

Old 03-08-2013, 10:34 PM
gertie240
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 on the bypass hose, known to fail shortly after the water pump if you don't change it.
your mech. should throw a new tstat in. Stant 185 degrees has allways worked for me.
Remember the days when a tstat came with a gasket?

Old 03-09-2013, 12:05 AM
gdstock
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And valve covers on thee engines have a habit of the screws loosening. Save some money and tighten them down and see if that takes care of it. Why would you pay someone to replace something so easy?

Check the plenum yourself also.

Old 03-10-2013, 02:47 PM
ReadRam
All Star

I just got a 01 ram with 57,000 miles and alot of the valve cover bolts were finger loose. Took the felpros back. Be a good time to throw some new plugs and plug wires on there as well. And if your going to do that might as well get new cap and rotor. Also do the timing chain and bypass hose, and thermostat, as already mentioned

Old 03-10-2013, 06:52 PM
jmbishop
Professional

Originally Posted by gertie240
+1 on the bypass hose, known to fail shortly after the water pump if you don't change it.
your mech. should throw a new tstat in. Stant 185 degrees has allways worked for me.
Remember the days when a tstat came with a gasket?
Imo you should run the stock temp T-stat. Your engine is well broken in at the stock temp, a lower temp = looser tolerances, I'll never gamble with it.

Quick Reply: Changing Water Pump and Valve cover gasket. Are these right part(s)?