2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Starting Into New Speakers/Subs/Amps. Got Some Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 09:25 AM
ChillyPhil
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Starting Into New Speakers/Subs/Amps. Got Some Questions

Move this if it needs to be somewhere else.

Well I'm going to take a break on the exterior of my dodge and start doing some stuff on the inside, like replacing the speakers and getting subs later on. I just turned 18 yesterday and i got alittle bit of money to spend. I'm getting everything off amazon because i can read reviews there and see if they are good or not. I'm new to this stuff so bare with me..

Here's what me and my friend that installs this kind of stuff picked out for my speaker setup. What do you guys think?

For the front
Amazon Amazon

For the rear
Amazon Amazon

Amp I'll be running to all the speakers
Amazon Amazon

On to the subwoofer setup:

Custom box
Amazon Amazon

10" Subs
Amazon Amazon

And I'm still not sure on what kind of amp to get.. I'm on a budget so i don't want to spend money like no tomorrow but i still want to get a good amp. Here's some choices i found:

Amazon Amazon

Amazon Amazon

Amazon Amazon

What do you guys think? And any help on the sub setup amplifier choice would be cool. I'm new to all of this so I'm tryin to learn in the process.

Last edited by ChillyPhil; 03-08-2013 at 09:33 AM.
Old 03-09-2013, 02:16 PM
ChillyPhil
All Star

Bump.

Old 03-09-2013, 04:15 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am far from a stereo guru, therfore, if I had a friend that does that for a living, I would probably follow his advice.

Old 03-09-2013, 05:51 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I prefer alpine stuff myself. Very high quality for the money.

I can't actually look at the links so excuse me for my ignorance

Old 03-11-2013, 09:19 AM
ChillyPhil
All Star

Originally Posted by gdstock
I am far from a stereo guru, therfore, if I had a friend that does that for a living, I would probably follow his advice.
Yeah, that's what i might as well do. I don't know where else to get help besides him since he knows a good bit.

Originally Posted by Ham Bone
I prefer alpine stuff myself. Very high quality for the money.

I can't actually look at the links so excuse me for my ignorance
Yeah, my one amp I'll be getting is a 300w Alpine 4 channel amp I'll be running to my kicker speakers. I just wasn't too sure on what sub amp to get.

Old 03-11-2013, 10:40 AM
oxymoron29
Veteran
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good choices on subs + speakers, Kicker is a good name. I'm running 2 of those C10's both powered by a Wallymart $40 300 watt Scosche amp. I have the gain cranked to the max and they pound hard...I think you will be happy with them. You may consider this box if you want the speakers more concealed (to avoid cone damage and risk of theft):
http://www.hifisoundconnection.com/S...9513/SFV/30046
That is the one I got. It also sits flush with the seat rather than stick out.

Can't say too much about the speakers except watch the mounting depth for the 6x9's in the door. If memory serves correct you can't go over 3" deep or the magnets will hit the window guides. FWIW I bought a set of Kicker 6x9's before I knew this and the magnet was massive and didn't come even close to fitting so I went with Alpines instead. Also watch how much the tweeter sticks out past the mounting surface as they will be sitting against your door panel when you reinstall.

Old 03-11-2013, 11:57 AM
ChillyPhil
All Star

Originally Posted by oxymoron29
Good choices on subs + speakers, Kicker is a good name. I'm running 2 of those C10's both powered by a Wallymart $40 300 watt Scosche amp. I have the gain cranked to the max and they pound hard...I think you will be happy with them. You may consider this box if you want the speakers more concealed (to avoid cone damage and risk of theft):
http://www.hifisoundconnection.com/S...9513/SFV/30046
That is the one I got. It also sits flush with the seat rather than stick out.

Can't say too much about the speakers except watch the mounting depth for the 6x9's in the door. If memory serves correct you can't go over 3" deep or the magnets will hit the window guides. FWIW I bought a set of Kicker 6x9's before I knew this and the magnet was massive and didn't come even close to fitting so I went with Alpines instead. Also watch how much the tweeter sticks out past the mounting surface as they will be sitting against your door panel when you reinstall.
Yeah that box i posted sticks out maybe 1"-1.5". I like that box and that's a good deal but it says 98-01 and mine is a 97. Is there a difference in the fitment? And if that fits, do you think this kit is a good deal? Or should i just get the subs/box and get the wiring/amp somewhere else?

http://www.hifisoundconnection.com/S...8257/SFV/30046

But I'll double check on the speakers cause i didn't even take that into consideration. Is there some website or something i can check the maximum size of 6x9 speaker that will fit? And where can i check on magnet size of the speakers? I don't think amazon says anything about the magnet size.

Last edited by ChillyPhil; 03-11-2013 at 12:35 PM.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:23 PM
oxymoron29
Veteran
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have it in my '97 and it fits fine. I'm no audio guy but that kit doesn't seem like a stellar deal. I'm sure you could find a good deal on an amp locally. Install kits are like $20 at most, too (
Amazon Amazon
)

On Crutchfield it says the mounting depth is 3.25" for the DS693. Check out this thread, seems to have some info: https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...-speakers.html

I can tell you for a fact my Alpines, listed at 3" mount depth, just cleared without modification. You may want to yank a door panel and measure yourself; might save you some time in the long run.

Old 03-12-2013, 09:03 AM
ChillyPhil
All Star

Alright sounds good. Atleast i know where I'm getting my box/sub combo at now. Man, your helping me do everything on my truck!

And I'll just keep a look out on amps. Boss makes one on amazon and it's rated pretty high but i don't hear of people having alot of Boss sound setups. I would like to get a Kicker to match everything but their alittle expensive. I'll just take a look around and see what i can find dealing with amps.

I'll see about them 6x9s too and see what i can find and that'll fit. I would like them Kickers to fit but if they don't I'll look at other speakers.

Old 03-15-2013, 12:02 PM
ChillyPhil
All Star

Does anyone know if the Kicker 6x9s will fit in my front doors? I been researching around trying to find the dimensions but I can't find the exact ones to know if they will fit or not.

I'll call BestBuy and Walmart or go there if I can but I'm sure they won't know too much about them fitting or not.

Quick Reply: Starting Into New Speakers/Subs/Amps. Got Some Questions