2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Shift detent plug...

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 09:17 PM
woods4life
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I checked all the grounds, that was one of my biggest focus when putting it back in. Between that and not messing up any vac lines. I checked and rechecked grounds again this evening, tightened them again just to be sure. What is there to check on the crank sensor? I checked the plug to make sure it wasnt messed up. I mean to me where it is located being flush in the bellhousing, it doesnt seem like it could get messed up unless its wire got cut or something. I might be wrong though

Old 03-13-2013, 09:21 PM
redneck_ram
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by woods4life
I checked all the grounds, that was one of my biggest focus when putting it back in. Between that and not messing up any vac lines. I checked and rechecked grounds again this evening, tightened them again just to be sure. What is there to check on the crank sensor? I checked the plug to make sure it wasnt messed up. I mean to me where it is located being flush in the bellhousing, it doesnt seem like it could get messed up unless its wire got cut or something. I might be wrong though
did you leave the trans in the truck, and then install the motor? if so, you might have pinched a wire, or bashed the sensor against the trans resulting in destroying it. these crank sensors are EXTREMELY picky. i almost want to bet thats what it is.

Old 03-13-2013, 09:22 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OK. Part of the problem is you are not answering the questions we are asking, then rambling on about another question.

Stay focused here for a minute. Asked about fuel and you said something about 45. To start, you need about 50 psi. This may explain why plugs are dty.

Asked about checking spark. You said you checked it at spank end. WTF does that mean? How did you check spark and where? Did you get a good spark?

Asked about crank sensor in the second or third post to that particular thread - what is the answer?

We can keep guessing, but no way are we going to find the problem if you can't stay with the program.

Now I am going to get buzzed....

Last edited by gdstock; 03-13-2013 at 09:34 PM.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:26 PM
woods4life
Veteran

No I left the tranny intact and installed them together. Gdstock, what do you mean by "Part of the problem is you are ot answering the"?

Old 03-13-2013, 09:36 PM
gdstock
Legend

How did you check the crank sensor? Or did you? What did you do to check it?

How did you check fuel pressure? If it is less that 50 psi, fuel pump is failing.

How did you checked for spark, and where? Knowing the answers can help identify what is wrong.

Old 03-13-2013, 09:37 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,259 Likes on 3,006 Posts

If I understand this correctly, you checked spark at the plugs, and have it, but, plugs are dry, and no fire.... You also have fuel pressure. 44 PSI should be enough to make it start and run.

Verify you are getting injector pulse. While you are at the parts store getting starting fluid, pick up a noid light as well. Make sure you get the right one.... Or, you can use a test light to see if you are getting injector plus as well. Just unplug one of the injectors, plug the test light in instead, and crank the engine. See if the light flashes. if it doesn't..... check the cam position sensor in the distributor. The connector is stashed back behind the motor, so, it's fun to find. Might wanna verify that it is plugged in.....

Old 03-13-2013, 09:40 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Just going to put this out there for an idea, different motor different dizzy what about fuel sync pcm was set for the 5.2 not the 5.9 any thoughts about this????

Old 03-13-2013, 09:44 PM
gdstock
Legend

Originally Posted by woods4life
I checked for spark at the spark end

I am still trying to figure this out for sure. I first suspected crank sensor, then connection on bottom of coil...

Old 03-13-2013, 09:48 PM
woods4life
Veteran

Like I said I checked as much of the wiring for the crank sensor as I could and the plug to make sure it was all ok. I have a fuel pressure gage and checked it with that, its 44psi. And I checked the spark at the plugs, and am getting spark. I am not totally dumb when it comes to working on stuff, and I have checked the stuff, not just saying it. I take the advise I get from you guys seriously.

Old 03-13-2013, 09:53 PM
gdstock
Legend

OK. Is spark strong? Is it good on more than one plug?

Need to see if you are getting voltage to injectors. Without that, no gas to burn. But fuel pressure is low, so be prepared to replace pump sometime soon.

Recheck plug wire routing, but if it was wrong, should still get something, even if bad miss or backfiring.

And Merc, fuel synch would have to be pretty far off for it to fail to even try to start. May run like crap, but should at least try to bust off......

Last edited by gdstock; 03-13-2013 at 09:56 PM.

Quick Reply: Shift detent plug...