2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Steering problems and components questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 09:32 AM
aggiejet
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What would you guys recommend doing? I can see about three options:

1) buy a new unit from Borgesen

2)Take the OEM unit off the truck and take it to a shop and have them adjust it
a)adjust it myself.

3)Adjust the OEM while installed on the truck

My concern with doing it myself is the special tools required. I don't have a spanner wrench, and my torque wrenches are the clicker types, not the pointer/scale type.

My level of ability is fair to midling (that is a grade of cotton, btw) e.g. timing chain and gears on a Chrysler T/C, replaced my dash and heater core in my QuadCab 1500

Does anybody have any experience with doing it by the book, in regards to how long it lasted? I am tempted to do this and make a DIY out of it. I generally love a challenge. Always like to learn something and it gives me an excuse to buy more tools.

I reread the instructions contained in this thread vs the ones from the service manual pdf that is available on this site (and I downloaded to my desktop) There are some minor differences. e.g. The "link" instructions say to back the adjuster plug off 13 mm or .50 inch. The Service manual says 18 mm or .70 inch. Additionally, the PDF Service manual says to check the rotational torque both left and right and compare it to the over-center torque. THEN make adjustments to the adjusting screw to make the over center torque 6-10 inch/lbs more than the rotational torque. The 'Link' instructions have you back out the adjusting screw and turn in back in a 1/2, record torque, then adjust screw to get 6-10 more in/lbs of torque.

After reading thru this a couple of times, it doesn't look hard. Is this worthy of taking pictures and making a DIY? And can anybody comment on the finer technical issues I pointed out. I realize I am probably picking fly **** outta pepper here, but I am just curious. Biggest thing I would like to know is if this really lasts. Don't want to do all this only to have to put in a Borgesen sometime soon.

Thanks,
Mark

Last edited by aggiejet; 03-22-2013 at 10:38 AM.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:07 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

A DIY wouldn't hurt our feelings.

This is an operation you are more than capable of doing. Might need to add to your tool collection though....

How long it lasts is going to be more a factor of how worn the parts are. Worst case is, it won't help. (highly unlikely) Then again, it may last for years. Give it a shot. See what happens. It certainly isn't going to hurt anything.

Follow the procedure in the manual.

Old 03-22-2013, 01:18 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Search the DF forums regarding people sharing feedback on Borgeson and Redhead.

*disclaimer: I did not read whole thread.

Old 03-22-2013, 03:19 PM
aggiejet
Professional

Originally Posted by Wh1t3NuKle
Search the DF forums regarding people sharing feedback on Borgeson and Redhead.

*disclaimer: I did not read whole thread.

When you say DF forums, I guess you mean Dodge forums. That said, I guess my "searching technique" stinks because I can't find any relevant threads using search word "Borgesen" or "Redhead."

As a side note, swung by the dealership today. Service dept said it would be $202 to adjust the steering gear. I am about to talk myself into this project.

Old 03-22-2013, 07:27 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

$202 for only adjusting it half way I'll bet. No way for that money are they removing it from the truck.

Old 03-22-2013, 11:47 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can adjust with it in, but gotta disconnect drag link to fo it correctly.

I rebult miine and took a bunch of pics coming apart...not so much going back together. Sorry.....

Main thing is when you pull screw out, you have to insert a rod to keep ***** in ball screw from falling all over the floor. The ***** are two sizes, and alternate from small to tiny to small......

Name:  Ramgearbox1.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  55.5 KB

Name:  Ramrackend.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  71.4 KB

Name:  Ramshaftremoval.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  62.2 KB

Name:  Ramscrew.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  77.7 KB

Name:  Ramsyeeringparts.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  72.8 KB

Name:  Ramthrust.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  55.1 KB

Name:  Ramrebuiltgearbox.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  70.6 KB

Last edited by gdstock; 03-22-2013 at 11:56 PM.
Old 03-23-2013, 09:41 AM
aggiejet
Professional

Originally Posted by zman17
$202 for only adjusting it half way I'll bet. No way for that money are they removing it from the truck.

Zman,

I thought the same thing. I specifically ask if they remove it from the truck and put it on the bench. They said yes, but I am highly suspect.

gdstock,

Nice shots of the rebuild, (wish you had shots or the "putting it back together" phase) but no way am i gonna try and rebuild this thing. Not sure where to get the parts, unless they come in some kinda kit. So, where did you get the parts? And how did you know how to do it. I, for one, am impressed. i will replace with a Redhead or Borgesen.

Last edited by aggiejet; 03-23-2013 at 09:44 AM.
Old 03-23-2013, 10:56 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by aggiejet
Zman,

I thought the same thing. I specifically ask if they remove it from the truck and put it on the bench. They said yes, but I am highly suspect.
I'm amazed. Even if they do, it's not going to last. It needs new parts. Save the 200 and put it toward the RedHead or borgeson.

Old 03-23-2013, 02:30 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by aggiejet
Zman,

gdstock,

Nice shots of the rebuild, (wish you had shots or the "putting it back together" phase) but no way am i gonna try and rebuild this thing. Not sure where to get the parts, unless they come in some kinda kit. So, where did you get the parts? And how did you know how to do it. I, for one, am impressed. i will replace with a Redhead or Borgesen.

Many years experience in engineering management in industrial applications. Had to use some std bearings available through industrial sources, and some parts nto available that I could source. Could not find a complete rebuild kit.

But it was more of a "wonder if I can do this" thing. My Ram is not my DD, but a project. And if it lasts, that's great, if not, no harm no faul. Interesting experience anyway.

Originally Posted by zman17
I'm amazed. Even if they do, it's not going to last. It needs new parts. Save the 200 and put it toward the RedHead or borgeson.
I would certainly not recommend that everyone try to rebuild, as it takes more time than it would be worth. I agree with the saving $200 toward the Red Head or Borgenson. If mine fails at some point, this is the decision I will have to make then - which one?

Old 03-24-2013, 12:07 PM
aggiejet
Professional

gdstock,

I would liike your opinion on this subjuect since you have rebuilt yours.I called both places in order to get educated. Here is what I found out.

Redhead is a small shop in Seattle that rebuilds your OEM steering gear using "bigger bearings" (whatever that means) Their gear is $476 plus shipping. Then you return your gear for a $150 core return as long as yours is still able to be rebuilt.
http://www.redheadsteeringgears.com/

Borgeson is based is Connecticut and is a company that got started building u-joints 100 years ago. They make a new steering gear using a case from Delphi and use better parts and different design to make a different gear. if you use their gear, you need to use their steering shaft or modify the spline by grinding a flat into theirs(?). (I am a little fuzzy on this. I would want to know more before I bought one, but Gil said it was easy to do and comes in the installation instructions) The price for our vintage truck is $429 plus shipping.

http://borgeson.com/

Last edited by aggiejet; 03-24-2013 at 12:12 PM.

Quick Reply: Steering problems and components questions