2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Steering problems and components questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 01:33 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When I have to replace mine, I will most likely fo with the Borgeson box. Both companies have a great reputation. If I considered the time and labor as well as running around to get parts (Abilene- 60 miles each way) I spent more than the cost of the Borgeson unit. But my Ram was a project anyway and I wanted to see if I could do it. If it did not work, I would have bought the Borgeson then. From what I have seen posted by others, modifying the shaft to fit the Borgeson is not that difficult. I think they utilize a Double D shaped shaft end.

Old 03-24-2013, 02:42 PM
DPR250R
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you go with the Borg box please post your thoughts on performance.

Old 03-30-2013, 10:02 AM
aggiejet
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got my steering gear removed yesterday and ran into a snag once I got it in the vice and ready to set the over center torque.

First, I cannot find a proper sized socket to put on the stub shaft. 17mm is too small, 18 mm too big. 5/8 too small, 11/16 too big. I read on a Jeep forum that this socket was referred to with a special number (socket 8343), giving me the impression that a typical socket won't work. Found one on-line made by Miller, on handsontools.com Had to e-mail for price and availability. Waiting to hear back. The Dodge Ram Service manual does not list this as a special tool for this job.

You need a socket to attach to a torque wrench. Which brings me to my next problem. The Over-Center Rotating torque should be 2-6 inch/lbs MORE than the Preload Rotating torque. First, you need a beam type torque wrench that measures in IN-lbs. Secondly, this is a very delicate measurement, as I can twist the shaft with by bare fingers. So I need a very "light" torque wrench. i.e. the scale probably needs to measure 0-100 in-lbs. Not sure I am gonna be able to find one. (the one I thought I had access to is in ft-lbs. my fault for not checking that out before I started this)

Thoughts?

Mark

Last edited by aggiejet; 03-31-2013 at 10:12 AM.
Old 03-31-2013, 09:53 AM
aggiejet
Professional

I called my local Dodge dealer and queried the Service adviser if they could set the torque for me if I brought it in. Much to his credit ( and about 15 minutes on hold) he told me they don't have the ability to do that, as they don't have the tools. Whoever he was talking to also told him they had not done one of those in a long time.

I told him I appreciated his honesty, hung up, and went and got my screaming towel.

Btw, this was the same shop that told me last week they would do it for $202. I asked them if they took the steering gear off the truck, and was assured they did.

Now I know why everyone just goes and buys a Redhead or Borgeson.

Old 03-31-2013, 10:34 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

Torque wrench. Torque wrench.

What about using an 8 point socket?

Old 03-31-2013, 01:50 PM
aggiejet
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Torque wrench.

What about using an 8 point socket?
I am not familiar with a eight point socket. I have 6 and 12 point.

I saw the torque wrench in your link. It has a 1/4 drive, which makes sense to measure something this light. However, the handsontools.com people don't know the drive required for Socket 8343 they sell. The socket alone is $69. My guess is that the socket drive size is 3/8, considering that a 17/18 mm socket is about the right size.

I am thinking about wrapping a little masking tape around the stub shaft and using a 11/16 or 18mm socket. I just need to find a torque wrench in in-lbs with a 3/8 drive or a 18mm socket that takes a 1/4 drive.

Apparently, bicycle shops use the 0-60 in-lbs wrenches. But those wrenches are all 1/4 drive. This is turning into a Quest.

Last edited by aggiejet; 03-31-2013 at 02:25 PM.
Old 03-31-2013, 02:08 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Just get a 1/4" to 3/8" adapter.

Old 03-31-2013, 03:22 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A 12 point socket will work but I cannot recall what size.

Old 03-31-2013, 04:07 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

What shape is the end of the shaft? or is it splined, and round, all the way out?

Old 03-31-2013, 05:41 PM
aggiejet
Professional

The stub shaft is a D-shaped spline. None of my 12 point sockets really fit. I can cram a 17mm 12 point on there, but I hate doing that as it will booger up the teeth of the splines. I need a 17.5 lol! (or the $70 socket from Miller)

I didn't know there was a 1/4 to 3/8 (small getting bigger) adapter. Gonna go look for one of those right now.

I messed around with the steering gear in the vice and adjusted it till I could get the Over-Center torque set where I had to use both bare hands to turn it. Then rotated the shaft 180*, and from there I could turn shaft with one bare hand. Point being, I now have the Over-Center Rotating torque set slightly higher than the Preload Rotating torque. Is it 2-6 in-lbs more? I have no freaking idea. Additionally, I am "screwed in" about 2 5/8s turns from "all the way out" on the adjuster screw. Does that sound like a lot to anyone with experience with this? Point being, if it sounds like my steering gear is shot, I don't want to put this one back on.

Thanks,
Mark

Quick Reply: Steering problems and components questions