2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Steering problems and components questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 05:36 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

Adjust it with the drag link.

is the steering wheel level when the box is on center?

Old 04-08-2013, 08:19 PM
aggiejet
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HeyYou,
Yes, The box is centered when the steering wheel is level.

I think I came up with a similar conclusion, after laying under the truck some more this afternoon. I don't have a drag link on the 2wd. Here's what i think I need to do.

(I keep calling the threaded bolt portion of the pitman arm a ball joint stud, but I fully realize that it isn't really a ball joint)

1. Drive truck straight ahead to get wheels straight. Leave tires on ground.
2. Disconnect the ball joint stud from the center link.
3. Center the steering wheel/steering gear. (This will require turning the wheel about 1/4 turn or 90* to the right. Now the ball joint stud will be about 1/2 inch outside of the hole in the center link.
4.Loosen the clamps on each end of the center link and turn/rotate the center link until the hole in the center link lines up with the ball joint stud.
5. Reattach the the ball joint stud to the center link.

Z,

There is only four positions the pitman arm can fit onto the pitman arm shaft that comes out the steering gear due to the machining of the shaft, with ridges at 12, 3, 6, and 9 o'clock. There is simply no way to get the pitman arm onto the shaft in any other position.

Last edited by aggiejet; 04-08-2013 at 08:23 PM.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:04 PM
aggiejet
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was thinking thru my "fix", and realized it won't work because I forgot to account for the idler arm. I would have to disconnect that from the center link also. Then, if I adjust the center link so the hole for the pitman arm stud lines up with the stud, then the hole for the idler arm won't be in the proper place.

So now I think what I have to do is this:

1.Pull truck into shop to establish wheels straight ahead.
2. Make marks on the floor to pattern what straight ahead wheels would represent.
3. Lift front end of truck off the ground.
4. Center the steering wheel/steering gear. Front wheels will now be turned slightly to the right.
5. Disconnect tie rod ends from both wheels, and adjust both TRE's till both wheels are once again straight ahead. Use the marks on the floor for reference. The right TRE needs to be shortened, the left one lengthened. I estimate this adjustment to be between 3/8 and 1/2 inch.

I think my theory is sound, except I just don't know if I can effectively reestablish straight ahead using somethig as rudimentary as marks on the floor once I disconnect the TRE's.

Pass the screaming towel, please.

Last edited by aggiejet; 04-09-2013 at 12:50 PM.

Quick Reply: Steering problems and components questions