2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1999 ram wont go in overdrive.

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 04:48 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Did they also do the removal and install? I'm going with they/he did not rebuild your tranny and installed one(rebuilt) from another year. The only way OD won't work is if the OD unit was done wrong or if it has the wrong year tranny in it and the electronics need replace for the correct year.

Old 03-29-2013, 12:15 AM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am very interested in how this turns out. I have been trying to figure out this same issue on my Durango since last spring! I have replaced the TPS, Output Speed Sensor, Govenor pressure sensor and tranducer, TCC/lockup solenoid with no results.

I also pulled out the VB when i replaced the tcc/lockup solenoid and put a new wire harness in for all the sensors. While the VB was out i looked around for anything abnormal or chunks of anything and it was clean as a whistle... I did find on the VB that the 3-4 acumulator spring was snapped in half and i replaced that as i thought that was the culprit. once put back together it shifted perfect except into OD.

Old 03-29-2013, 12:52 AM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Old_School
I am very interested in how this turns out. I have been trying to figure out this same issue on my Durango since last spring! I have replaced the TPS, Output Speed Sensor, Govenor pressure sensor and tranducer, TCC/lockup solenoid with no results.

I also pulled out the VB when i replaced the tcc/lockup solenoid and put a new wire harness in for all the sensors. While the VB was out i looked around for anything abnormal or chunks of anything and it was clean as a whistle... I did find on the VB that the 3-4 acumulator spring was snapped in half and i replaced that as i thought that was the culprit. once put back together it shifted perfect except into OD.

Do you get TCC lock up? Also when you had the pan off, did you look at the Direct Clutch band to see if it was loose?

And the accumulator spring failure is common. Several iffernt manufacturers make an upgraded spring (such as Sonax). Hope you got one of those.

Old 03-29-2013, 03:29 AM
fuellube3
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How cold is it where you are? I got mine rebuilt about 1700 miles ago and for the first 1500 wouldn't shift into O/D on cold mornings due to thick fluid(subzero temps) try a pan heater.

Old 03-29-2013, 07:33 AM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gdstock
Do you get TCC lock up? Also when you had the pan off, did you look at the Direct Clutch band to see if it was loose?

And the accumulator spring failure is common. Several iffernt manufacturers make an upgraded spring (such as Sonax). Hope you got one of those.
Not to sure how you tell if the TCC locks up but, i will say that when i am at 65 i am around 3000 RPMs and if i hit the OD off button the the RPMs will raise 3-4 RPMs and then if i hit it again to turn it on the will drop 3-4 RPMs.

When i had the pan down i looked at the front/rear bands. they where pretty loose so i adjusted them up to where they should be. Where would i find/adjust the direct clutch band? i would assume with how loose the front/rear bands where its very possible that the direct clutch band being loose is my golden ticket here.

The accumulator spring was a Sonax upgraded one. the place i got it from said that it was a thicker spring than OEM and would hold up better. I also went ahead and got the Borg Warner upgraded Gov. Pressure sensor.

I will also add that i do get code P0783, if i clear the code it will be back in about 100-150 miles. I was told that the rear axle speed sensor could be bad causing this but, my speedo and ABS work fine.

Last edited by Old_School; 03-29-2013 at 07:45 AM.
Old 03-30-2013, 07:23 PM
shink5.2
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look here. I had this same problem after my rebuild. Easy fix for me. Hopefully for you too.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/showthr...wpost&t=348378

Quick Reply: 1999 ram wont go in overdrive.