2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

oil in intake after plenum repair, pcv?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 11:47 AM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
You actually WANT the pcv system working as it should. It is fine to have a simple breather on the intake side, but, PCV valve really needs to be there, and hooked to the intake.

PCV draws a slight vacuum on the crankcase, which aids in ring seal, and evacuates combustion blow-by from the case. Keeps your oil cleaner longer.
i think my current pcv valve might be kind of bad but i think priced out a new pcv valve from dodge and it was $15 and the oil/water separator and fitting were only about $10. i had the hose. couldn't afford to spend $30 on new pcv valve for my trucks so they are getting oil/water separater's. pretty much does the same thing.
Originally Posted by dodge dude94
Where do you get one of those?
i got mine from princess auto but you should be able to find something like this at any store that sells air tools. now if i could has got one of the ones that are meant to be bolted to the wall instead of an inline filter i would have.

Old 03-31-2013, 12:06 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 69_XS29L
" What is causing this?? " You have piston ring blow by plain and simple. Your PCV valve is doing exactly what it was designed to do.
You are right to a point excessive oil in the pcv system is caused by bad /worn rings. This let's the comp psi past the rings into the crankcase causing more oil to get into the pvc system.

Originally Posted by dodge dude94
Erm, no.
The pcv naturally sucks in oil because it is using intake manifold vacuum..
Some oil is expected but not lot's.

He's right if the rings are worn out it will cause more oil in the pvc system than what should be there, do a web search on pvc systems and read about it.

Old 03-31-2013, 01:16 PM
coldsteel5
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I pulled the hose from the pcv on the pass. side that goes into the air filter housing and oil dripped out. How do you get the pcv out on this side?? I tried pulling it out but I felt like it was going to break. Truck runs a lot better since I changed the plenum. I hate how its getting oil in there already after 200 miles.

Old 03-31-2013, 01:54 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

The pcv sucks to get out if the rubber grommet has hardened. It will break, so get a new one (pcv) from the dealer before you attempt to remove it. Get a new rubber grommet too if they have one in stock.

Old 03-31-2013, 04:11 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

Keep in mind, there is only ONE PCV per truck. ON 99 and earlier, its on the passenger side, 2000 and later, it's on the drivers side. (I think) Other side is just a piece of plastic pipe. If there is oil in it, either your pcv valve is too low of a flow rate, or, your rings are getting pretty bad....

Old 04-01-2013, 01:45 AM
coldsteel5
Rookie

So how do you get the one on the pass. side out? Also, does it matter if it was not hooked up to the air filter? There is also about a 70° kink in that hose from the air intake to the passenger side plastic pipe? Either way I'm getting a catch can from eBay

Old 04-01-2013, 01:48 AM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by crazzywolfie
i think my current pcv valve might be kind of bad but i think priced out a new pcv valve from dodge and it was $15 and the oil/water separator and fitting were only about $10. i had the hose. couldn't afford to spend $30 on new pcv valve for my trucks so they are getting oil/water separater's. pretty much does the same thing.

i got mine from princess auto but you should be able to find something like this at any store that sells air tools. now if i could has got one of the ones that are meant to be bolted to the wall instead of an inline filter i would have.
Can you PM me with information on that? I want to install a catch can of some sort.
Originally Posted by coldsteel5
So how do you get the one on the pass. side out? Also, does it matter if it was not hooked up to the air filter? There is also about a 70° kink in that hose from the air intake to the passenger side plastic pipe? Either way I'm getting a catch can from eBay
That hose needs to be connected to the air cleaner or something. It needs to have a filter on it so crap doesn't get down in there.

Old 04-01-2013, 09:48 AM
crazzywolfie
Legend

i'm not sure exactly what info you want me to pm you.

this is pretty much what i did and exactly what i want to do in the future.
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...-write-up.html

Old 04-01-2013, 04:02 PM
guzman
Professional
Default Pcv

Originally Posted by coldsteel5
Best way I found to remove the PCV and the plastic elbow on the other side is to warm the truck so the grommets are more pliable, get a small pick or punch and insert between PCV or elbow and work it around the outside while applying a little lube from a spray can then jiggle some to work it in then pull the bugger out, might take some force and maybe a prying instrument inserted into hose end such as proper size punch or dowel for leverage, I just worked the grommets out CAREFULLY with a screwdriver. I did not break either one when coming out with them. Have your new PCV, elbow and grommets ready to install right away.

Old 04-01-2013, 04:45 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend

i find it easiest to just pull the hose off the intake while the truck is warm and twist the hose/pcv valve out.

Quick Reply: oil in intake after plenum repair, pcv?