2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2000 Ram 1500 issues

Old 04-04-2013, 07:03 PM
ThePhychoKid
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 2000 Ram 1500 issues

Hi. I'm 16, and I have a 2000 ram 1500 5.9l V8 Magnum Laramie, and it doesn't want to shift until I let off of the gas. This is my first vehicle, so explain stuff to me like I'm 5, please. I've got enough money to fix it, hopefully, but I have no clue what's wrong. Hopefully I won't have to rebuild my transmission or anything drastic like that, so any and all help is appreciated!

Old 04-04-2013, 07:52 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,166 Likes on 2,920 Posts

Maintenance first. Drop the pan, change the filter, and fluid, try cleaning the governor pressure solenoid. Don't forget to install a drain plug...... if you are reasonably mechanically inclined, or, have a friend that is, adjust the bands as well. See how that does.

Old 04-04-2013, 07:52 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Received 333 Likes on 297 Posts

Welcome to DF. Please be sure and read this: https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...new-topic.html

Using the search function might help you out. Welcome aboard.

Old 04-04-2013, 08:09 PM
ThePhychoKid

Originally Posted by jkeaton
Welcome to DF. Please be sure and read this: https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...new-topic.html

Using the search function might help you out. Welcome aboard.
Thank you. I have read and searched for hours before joining and posting.

Old 04-04-2013, 08:13 PM
ThePhychoKid

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Maintenance first. Drop the pan, change the filter, and fluid, try cleaning the governor pressure solenoid. Don't forget to install a drain plug...... if you are reasonably mechanically inclined, or, have a friend that is, adjust the bands as well. See how that does.
I've done all that except the solenoid, because I've read that it comes to 90 avail all the time. New master cylinder, spark plug, all new fluids/filters, etc... and it still won't shift till I let off the gas. I'll have to see about the drain plug and bands, but I wouldn't think that's it. The truck's been used as a work truck previously, had a few CC trips, but my dad (who I got it from) kept up on maintenance religiously.

Old 04-04-2013, 08:13 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Received 333 Likes on 297 Posts

Originally Posted by ThePhychoKid
Thank you. I have read and searched for hours before joining and posting.
Good man. I don't doubt you did. I just have to make sure....

Old 04-04-2013, 08:28 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've done all that except the solenoid, because I've read that it comes to 90 avail all the time. New master cylinder, spark plug, all new fluids/filters, etc... and it still won't shift till I let off the gas. I'll have to see about the drain plug and bands, but I wouldn't think that's it. The truck's been used as a work truck previously, had a few CC trips, but my dad (who I got it from) kept up on maintenance religiously.
Translate please.

If the screens on the governor solenoid are clogged or the governor assembly is clogged it will screw things up....

Last edited by stewie01; 04-04-2013 at 08:32 PM.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:43 PM
ThePhychoKid

Originally Posted by stewie01
Translate please.

If the screens on the governor solenoid are clogged or the governor assembly is clogged it will screw things up....
Lol, I'm sorry. Mind was going faster than my fingers I guess. I meant to say that I heard it comes to no avail 90% of the time.

Old 04-04-2013, 08:56 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lol, I'm sorry. Mind was going faster than my fingers I guess. I meant to say that I heard it comes to no avail 90% of the time.
Might the case.. If you drop the pan and the governor assembly & solenoid is all nice and clean don't waste your money on a new solenoid. If they're full of crap buy the new solenoid and start saving, you'll be headed for the transmission shop sooner or later....

Old 04-04-2013, 08:59 PM
ThePhychoKid

Originally Posted by stewie01
Might the case.. If you drop the pan and the governor assembly & solenoid is all nice and clean don't waste your money on a new solenoid. If they're full of crap buy the new solenoid and start saving, you'll be headed for the transmission shop sooner or later....
Does it not sound like I need to now? Other than not shifting immediately, that's the only performance related issue. Aesthetically speaking, however, is another monster...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2000 Ram 1500 issues