2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

what damage will a bad front axel u-joint cause?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 09:33 PM
smoky614
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question what damage will a bad front axel u-joint cause?

Alright, i got a 94 1500 4x4. both front axle u-joints are bad,(driver worse then passenger) they both got some give to them and the driver side makes a kinda loud knocking, clicking sound(But it aint loud enough to be a thumping sound yet). Passenger is a faint clicking sound. I aint got the tools to do it myself and i wont have the money to get it fixed till atleast this weekend. Ive been told that itll start to make a really loud thumping sound before my wheels will lock up and stop me dead. but im worried that if i keep driving it itll tear up my axle. Im pretty sure if nothing else it could blow my axle seals. Im i on the right track or over thinking it and do Yall think itll make it a week(another 50-75mi) or should i let it sit till i can fix it?(I just noticed the noise today, had some fun last night. Think that was the straw on the camels back!)

Last edited by smoky614; 04-09-2013 at 09:36 PM.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:00 PM
QuadCabLuv
Record Breaker

Ive seen and heard of bad ujoints puttingvout enough vibrations to destroy diffs and t-cases.

Old 04-09-2013, 10:05 PM
joshmopar
Professional

I have driven a truck with a front axle ujoint that had peices missing from the cap. your good till the weekend.

Old 04-09-2013, 10:18 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by QuadCabLuv
Ive seen and heard of bad ujoints puttingvout enough vibrations to destroy diffs and t-cases.
^this is a high probability!!

Originally Posted by joshmopar
I have driven a truck with a front axle ujoint that had peices missing from the cap. your good till the weekend.
Wow...so you're willing to suggest someone drive a KNOWN poor condition that could cause an accident? Driver side could indeed lockup to then pull driver side and into whatever is there. Have you driven the OPs truck? Have you put your hands on it and evaluated it as a mechanic with liability insurance and the like? You want to take that chance?

Don't post crap like that!!

OP, with that much noise and physical feedback you are describing it's highly suggested that you do not drive it further. Where are you located and have you received a quote on replacing both ujoints?

If only you could just take out the axle shafts and put the unit bearing back in. Then it would roll like manual locking hubs.... LOL

Old 04-09-2013, 10:22 PM
kejobe
Record Breaker
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Should be fine till this weekend. Just try not to make tight turns until it gets fixed. It'll put more stress on it which could cause it to go.

But, just be aware that, as stated, if it goes out it can destroy a lot.

Be easy with it.

Old 04-09-2013, 10:35 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

a mild clicking will probably be ok for a little while. my passenger side was clicking pretty good a couple of years ago, and i drove it for several more days until i had time to fix it.

as said, be easy and don't make any tight turns - period. this is where it would most likely break something.

if it starts popping, or making other noises - park it.
you can test the amount of play by grabbing the inner axle and rotating it back and forth against the outer half. the play in the bearing cap starts as a clicking, then a clacking, then popping in turns, then it breaks.

Old 04-09-2013, 11:05 PM
smoky614
Professional

Well, I think Im gonna play it safe and let sit for a few days. I can barely afford this, Ill be screwed if I really tare something up! But thanks for yalls advice.

I'm going to go get an estimate tomorrow, I'm hoping It only a couple hundred! Ive seen some estimates on here for like 800bucks, Thats crazy!!! But I live in Ohio, About 45min west of Toledo.

Old 04-09-2013, 11:17 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame

you got anyone with tools and know-how that can show you how to do this.
everybody has to learn sometime.

the only real difficulty is getting the big axle nut off. you'll need to own or borrow a 1-11/16 socket. if you can't break it loose with a long pull bar and pipe, you can take it to a very close, local shop and have them break it loose, then reinstall at a modest 100 pounds of torque so you can drive it home and take it back apart.

here's a good how to:
http://www.pavementsucks.com/tech-article-5.html
http://www.pavementsucks.com/tech-article-3.html

Old 04-09-2013, 11:20 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame

an experienced mechanic could replace both axle ujoints in about 3 hours or less. i don't know what the labor rate would be - maybe 4 hours.

it won' be cheap to pay someone else to do this.

Old 04-10-2013, 12:16 AM
smoky614
Professional

I know, that's whats killing me. I know how to do it, it's just that the majority of my tools came up "missing" not to long ago, I barely got a wrench set left!!

Quick Reply: what damage will a bad front axel u-joint cause?