2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Skyjacker 7218

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 01:14 AM
djbucky3
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Skyjacker 7218

Hey everyone, after reading a DIY on here about putting in a skyjacker on a 2500, ive been interested on installing one onto my 1500.

I have a 98 ram 1500 with 35x12.5 muds with 2 inch lift and the truck definitely drives "wobbly" might be a good term, but the truck stands absolutely no chance at staying straight and id like to fix this. I am currently trying to buy all terrain tires to improve road driving but thought about getting a skyjacker 7218 to put on as well. Has anyone installed a skyjacker 7218 and can confirm that it improves driving? The DIY seemed very pleased with his skyjacker but I would not mind getting more feedback?

Thanks all!

Old 05-23-2013, 01:38 AM
Matt Nickerson
Record Breaker

Dual steering stabilizers aren't gonna do much for you. They reduce steering feedback when hitting road irregularities, they don't fix sloppy steering. What exactly is your problem? Is the truck just veering a certain direction, feel unstable under normal driving, death wobble?

You're gonna want to look for play in all your steering components from the steering column to the tires and anything in between. There shouldn't be play in anything.

Old 05-23-2013, 02:02 AM
djbucky3
Captain

I would say there is most likely play somewhere (though i do enjoy mudding so the stabilizer would help when mudding more so than road driving?). The mud tires (the truck bounces from the big treads) are making it difficult to really diagnose the issue. When turning the wheel the truck seems to not quite respond until it is turned an inch or two, i guess that would be called play? Any directions towards DIY to try and find play? Easiest place to start looking?

Old 05-23-2013, 10:05 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

Grab a friend, put friend in drivers seat, turn key far enough to unlock steering, but, do not start the engine.

Have friend GENTLY rock steering back and forth, while you check all steering parts, and see what is moving..... If it moves, and shouldn't, replace it. If it doesn't move, and should, replace it. (start at the base of the steering column, and inspect out to the tie-rod ends at the knuckles.)

Next, have said friend CRANK the steering back and forth. You watch the track bar, both ends. If either end is sloppy, replace it.

Jack up the front of the truck and support it on jack stands, so the front tires are 3 to 4 inches off the ground. Have friend grab top of tire, and push/pull in/out. You watch the upper ball joint. If it moves.... replace it.

Next, take a length of board, or pipe, stick it under the tire, and pry up. Watch lower ball joint. If it moves......

Grab tire at 3, and 6. Shake back and forth. Any movement here is either tie rod ends, or wheel bearings.

Roll the tires while slightly turned. any binding needs to be found, and fixed. (hub/bearing, or u-joints.)

These trucks are notorious for munching up trackbars, and steering boxes. If the slop is in your box, you can try adjusting it first.... (DIY in FAQ section) or, just replace it. Don't bother with the parts store steering boxes though, go directly to a redhead, or borgeson box. The replacement fellers from the parts store most of the time aren't any better than what you are replacing.

I think gdstock did a nice write up on rebuilding his steering box as well, might search out that thread, and see if it is something you are interested in attempting.

Old 05-23-2013, 11:38 PM
djbucky3
Captain

Some great advice. Will take a little research for me (new to this whole thing) but thank you very much! Im sure i will have questions again at a later date!

Old 05-24-2013, 12:38 AM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I ran the 7218 kit for about 4 months. Loved it for it's smoothness. I'm in agreement with what those guys said above.

I removed my kit b/c I do offroad in the rocks and didn't want them to get kablooeyed. So they are up for sale.

Old 05-25-2013, 01:13 PM
djbucky3
Captain

What are you selling your 7218 for?

Old 05-25-2013, 11:24 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Sorry. I ended up having it sold shortly after I posted. It was in the Classified/Parts section here on the site.

Quick Reply: Skyjacker 7218