2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

99 dodge ram 1500 stalling

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 02:04 PM
CarolineKeen
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 dodge ram 1500 stalling

My husbands truck has been stalling off and on for about 4 months. It will stall and if he lets it sit for about 15 min's, it starts with no problem and is fine for 4-5 days. Sometimes it will try to stall and catch's itself while being driven. We had a fellow put a scanner on it, its putting out no codes. We thought we would change the fuel filter, found out its in the fuel tank. My father says change the control Module, but we have not been able to find where it is and how hard it is to replace. My brother is very handy with cars but lives 3 hours away and has been trying to help through phone calls. Can anyone help me locate the control module, so i can find out if this is something my husband and i can replace. Thanks

Old 05-28-2013, 08:50 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

The control module is the engine's computer. Its the big black box on the passenger side of the engine compartment against the firewall, with the large bundle of wires coming out of it.

Before you replace something as expensive as the powertrain control module (PCM), have you tried the other, much cheaper things first? IAC, TPS, etc.?

If you replace the PCM, you'll have to take it to a dealership to get "flashed" with the truck's VIN number. I'd only advise replacing the PCM as a last resort.

Also, for future reference:
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-r...s-section.html

Old 05-29-2013, 11:10 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

+1.... Try cleaning the IAC first(disconnect negative battery cable before doing so). https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-r...n-the-iac.html

Download the service manual from the FAQ/DIY section. You should have it.

Read the plenum sticky also.

I'm thinking crank sensor, but try the easy stuff first.

Old 05-29-2013, 03:04 PM
CarolineKeen

My dad did say about having to flash the new computer. My brother is now telling me to try changing the coil. What is the IAC and TPS?

Old 05-29-2013, 03:31 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Look at the link I gave you, It will at least show you the IAC, which = Idle air control valve. The TPS = throttle position sensor. Also pictured/mentioned in that link IIRC. And get the manual, it will help you immensely.

Old 05-31-2013, 10:00 AM
CarolineKeen

I have been trying to find the download and cannot locate it. I looked under FAQ and have done a search, but have not found it.

Old 05-31-2013, 11:12 AM
CSDavies26
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 06-02-2013, 08:56 PM
CarolineKeen
Talking

Thank you very much!

Old 06-02-2013, 10:00 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

on the stall, the first step is to determine if its lack of fuel or spark.

test for fuel by spraying some starting fluid down the air filter or throttle body. if it starts, or tries to start, then your problem is likely fuel pump, which includes fuel filter, and which lives inside the tank. you can confirm the fuel problem by measuring pressure with a gauge at the test port on the rail. most local parts stores rent/loan the tester for free.

test for spark at the spark plugs. electrical is more complicated. PCM, wiring, crank position sensor, cam position sensor, coil, battery, cables.

other - throttle position sensor (TPS), idle air control (IAC), throttle body iac port, vac leaks, MAP sensor, intake air temp sensor (IAT).

^one of those.....

Old 06-03-2013, 01:40 PM
generaljr
Professional

+1 Crankshaft Positioning Sensor, they cause hard to diagnose intermitent stalls,if its faulty it still could pass the resistance test at ambient temperature, it should be tested at operating engine temperature or more

Quick Reply: 99 dodge ram 1500 stalling