2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

98 1500 4 x 4 , 5.9

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 08:22 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

Try a different gauge?

Be sure to plug off the vacuum booster for the brakes as well. (you don't really wanna drive it like that though.)

Old 06-06-2013, 04:43 PM
jetb
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

K. Drove it around town again today! Same crap but NOT as bad as before. When stopped at a light the RPM drops down to about 500. Also got a CEL - Code said Bank 1, Sensor 1 voltage too high!! FRACK!!

Why blank off the bake vacuum. Is it not possible that there's be a leak in that system as well??

Can't try a new gauge, it's part of the dash cluster!!

Oh well!! Maybe time to just let the garage dry hump me!! I have brusises all over the frackin place from trying to fix this thing!!

Old 06-06-2013, 05:35 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by jetb
K. Drove it around town again today! Same crap but NOT as bad as before. When stopped at a light the RPM drops down to about 500. Also got a CEL - Code said Bank 1, Sensor 1 voltage too high!! FRACK!!

Why blank off the bake vacuum. Is it not possible that there's be a leak in that system as well??

Can't try a new gauge, it's part of the dash cluster!!

Oh well!! Maybe time to just let the garage dry hump me!! I have brusises all over the frackin place from trying to fix this thing!!

Without wanting to read back in the thread, that code means the precat o2 is shot. Has the plenum been fixed? If not , that's why.

Old 06-06-2013, 06:37 PM
jetb
Amateur

Zman:

YEP! Hew Hughs kit installed in the plenum! It's possible that the O2 sensor is FUBARD. But I don't think it is. I'm still getting low MAP. Around 14 at idle on this pig!!

The timing chains, beem replaced , along with sprokets. The old one had about 1/2 of play in it!! New intake gaskets as well. ALL sensors EXCEPT the IAT sensor have been changed!!

At this point I'm getting tired of throwing money into it! As a last ditch effort, I'm taking it to the garage tomorrow. I think the timing is off! BUT I'm not sure. Somebody liked my timing lite more then I did!! LOL LOL

So I'll let the garage have a go at it! I'm too beat up and bruised up to go at it any more!! ...Not to mention damned near broke!!LOLL OL

Thanks for the input folks, appreciate your time and thoughts!!

Old 06-06-2013, 06:40 PM
jetb
Amateur

I still don't think it was the plenum plate either. It was't "like new" but it was in much better shape then others I've put back on trucks!! I'm thinking it timing!! And possibly a vacum leak. Threw water all over everything onside the engine compartment, didn't even get a hiccup oita it!! tried the old cigar trick again, but didn't seee anything!!

Frack it! I'll pay somebody to fix it!! LOL LOL

Old 06-06-2013, 08:38 PM
Gaius
Veteran

Did you check the 02 sensor wiring?

Also, for a vacuum leak, grab some starting fluid, and spray it all round the intake and hoses while its running. You'll find a leak if it revs up.

Old 06-07-2013, 01:32 AM
jetb
Amateur

Originally Posted by Gaius
Did you check the 02 sensor wiring?

Also, for a vacuum leak, grab some starting fluid, and spray it all round the intake and hoses while its running. You'll find a leak if it revs up.

Gaius:

I wrung out all the wiring when I installed the two O2 sensors, about 2 months ago!! Everything was tickety Boo!!.

It MAy be that the connector has separated ( as in become unplugged) the PCM with trow a Hi volatage code if they are disconnected!! Or it could be that it's just Dodge's don't like Bosch O2 sensors!!

Anyways, is there anyway to check the timing on this thing , with a timing light AND without Fubaring the PCM!! If so, are these trucks set at 5 Degrees BTC??? I can't find a freakin thing in the Haynes manual on it!!

Old 06-07-2013, 01:44 AM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Some do some don't your's don't get a ntk 02.

Old 06-07-2013, 02:26 AM
Gaius
Veteran

You can see what the timing is doing, there's timing marks above the crank pulley.

Have you unplugged the front 02 to see how it runs? (Sorry if I've missed some things!).

Old 06-07-2013, 05:21 AM
jetb
Amateur

Merc: Duly noted! Will do.

Gaius: Yes Sir! I am aware of where the timing marks are. I have heard folks say that a timing lite while throw the PCM into a Monkey Motion!! Talked to the Dodge Mech today and he said they use the inductive pick up lights on the trucks all the time and it doesn't bther the PCM.

No I haven't crawled under there to look. I can't get down to do it! That's why I'm taking it to the garage!! I have limited mobility and if I get down, I can't get back up with out somebody around to haul my ugly **** off the ground!! I don't do UPs, I do downs. Down is a law!!LOL LOL LOL

I don't have a timing lite either and I'm just NOT in the mood to play silly bugger with this any more! If I have to throw more money at it, I want it fixed!!

Besides, where the hell do you find the timing setting for these buggers?? Haynes doesn even mention engine timing in their manual! At least NOT that I could find!!

Will let ya know what the garage finds out!

Last edited by jetb; 06-07-2013 at 05:25 AM.

Quick Reply: 98 1500 4 x 4 , 5.9