2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hi fellow Dodge lovers

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 06:33 PM
BrianGoodman
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi fellow Dodge lovers

Hi, my name is brian and im the proud owner of a 1996 ram 1500 single cab.
had a 5.9 in it and was demoted to a 5.2 auto trans. I love my truck and it sounds mean as can be, but unfortunately I have some issues.
ive never joined a forum before.

ive tried to search for my specific problem but with no avail.
I have read a few responses to people making the same threads and what not and im sorry if you found my issue better than me :P

ive owned the truck since 8-6-13 and ran great for 2 weeks and then it happened.
the check engine light came on and I took it to advance auto and had them run the codes. it came back with governor sensor pressure is too high. and im not sure about the problems that this will cause. I searched it and couldn't find any posts that say what actually happens when this code is thrown, but when I push the gas it gains speed pretty slowly now but doesn't shift rough at all just a little high in RPM's ( 3000 ish )
so I guess my question is, will the pressure still be " too high " after I replace the sensor or should this correct the problem?

check engine light went off by itself as of today, kinda weird huh?

I thank anyone in advance for any info they may have and look forward to getting to know some of you guys/gals

Thanks again,
Brian

Last edited by BrianGoodman; 09-06-2013 at 10:29 PM.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:03 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Welcome to DF Brian. 2nd gen Ram section is where you need to be. I will move this to that section now.

Old 09-05-2013, 09:22 PM
BrianGoodman

thank you

Old 09-06-2013, 12:17 AM
ReadRam
All Star

The treanny is going into limp mode, starting out in a higher gear. Is it shifting right now that cel is gone? I had a pressure problem on my old truck last winter. The hose connection
right by the check valve came apart and blew trans fluid all over engine compartment. I just reconnected the hose and topped off fluids. Sorry, that doesn't really answer your question. If your going in there yourself you may want to replace or clean up other sensors /solenoids and adjust bands, if you have the tools. Read the sticky at top of forum, Montec's and get FSM.

Old 09-06-2013, 09:57 AM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

How mechanically inclined are you?

Is dropping the pan and replacing sensor+fluid change+filter change within your abilities?

Here is a link that helps describe some of that DIY just in case.

http://www.pavementsucks.com/tech-article-39.html

Also, you may want to check this thread out for more similar symptoms and diagnosis, hopefully resolution even. It's a "sticky" at the top of this forum b/c the auto tranny is the bane of every 2nd Gen owner's existence.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...info-only.html

What is the fluid color like? What is the fluid level? Checking this is only done after driving/running around to get the system to normal operating temps, flat ground, and put in neutral.

Originally Posted by BrianGoodman
Hi, my name is brian and im the proud owner of a 1996 ram 1500 single cab.
had a 5.9 in it and was demoted to a 5.2 auto trans. I love my truck and it sounds mean as can be, but unfortunately I have some issues.
ive never joined a forum before.

ive tried to search for my specific problem but with no avail.
I have read a few responses to people making the same threads and what not and im sorry if you found my issue better than me :P

ive owned the truck since 8-6-13 and ran great for 2 weeks and then it happened.
the check engine light came on and I took it to advance auto and had them run the codes. it came back with governor sensor pressure is too high. and im not sure about the problems that this will cause. I searched it and couldn't find any posts that say what actually happens when this code is thrown, but when I push the gas it gains speed pretty slowly now but doesn't shift rough at all just a little high in RPM's ( 3000 ish )
so I guess my question is, will the pressure still be " too high " after I replace the sensor or should this correct the problem?

check engine light went off by itself as of today, kinda weird huh?

I thank anyone in advance for any info they may have and look forward to getting to know some of you guys/gals

Thanks again,
Brian

Old 09-06-2013, 12:37 PM
BrianGoodman

hey guys thanks for the replies.
yes READRAM it shifts very smoothly im just dealing with lack of power.

Wh1t3NuKle I am definetly capable of dropping the pan and changing fluids/filter and replacing the sensors. i know how to adjust the bands but wouldn't know which way or how much lol.
the fluid remains to be a nice reddish color and doesn't lose any ATF , except when changed the speed sensor on the outside of the pan lol .$I didn't see that coming
i check that hose out and it is solid and no fluid leaks anywhere on the truck.

again thanks guys ill get to reading those stickies now. Later

Old 09-06-2013, 07:00 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by BrianGoodman
hey guys thanks for the replies.
yes READRAM it shifts very smoothly im just dealing with lack of power.

Wh1t3NuKle I am definetly capable of dropping the pan and changing fluids/filter and replacing the sensors. i know how to adjust the bands but wouldn't know which way or how much lol.
the fluid remains to be a nice reddish color and doesn't lose any ATF , except when changed the speed sensor on the outside of the pan lol .$I didn't see that coming
i check that hose out and it is solid and no fluid leaks anywhere on the truck.

again thanks guys ill get to reading those stickies now. Later

"Lack of Power" means read the plenum sticky.

Old 09-06-2013, 07:13 PM
BrianGoodman

sounds good to me and I have been perusing that sticky and im doing the magne test tomorrow morning. so what does pressure too high in the governor sensor mean? and what problems is that creating? hopefully the plenum has been updated to aluminum.
thanks again

Old 09-07-2013, 10:23 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

Probably failing sensor, or solenoid.....

Old 09-07-2013, 11:23 AM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

A nice reddish color isn't enough. Is it dirty reddish? Is it clear reddish? That makes a difference.

Most ppl here that report a CEL related to the tranny are basically up a creek and at minimum need to take to a shop for pan drop, fluid/filter change, magnet check, etc. or take on the task for themselves.

Obtain a Haynes manual for yourself. Obtain the factory service manual and parts manual from the subforum here called DIY/FAQ as they are free downloads.

Search all threads for transmissions here.

Quick Reply: Hi fellow Dodge lovers