2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Leaf Spring Eye Bolts

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 03:55 PM
InfO
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaf Spring Eye Bolts

Wow... so - feeling like I may get teased, but I have got to ask. How does one remove the rear leaf spring bolts? The bolt that holds the leaf spring to shackle is inaccessible and the bolt going through the shackle to frame is accessible except for when I go to pull it out... it's too long and won't get past the frame.

Feel free to tease, but please provide some input too. Most of these bolts are frozen solid.

I'll head back out to play with it more.

Old 09-15-2013, 03:57 PM
InfO
Veteran

****. I just realized looking at that picture that it is actually hitting the tow hitch. Son of a ... well ... I'll just cut it off, go buy new bolts, and put it back up in reverse. Still annoying though.

Old 09-15-2013, 04:14 PM
clipper77
Veteran

You got it.

Cut the bolt or drop the receiver.

I opted to leave the receiver in place and install in reverse, like you are planning to do.

Works great!

Old 09-15-2013, 04:15 PM
InfO
Veteran

Great success! New vs Old below! The new leafs are apart of the skyjacker lift kit I got my hands on.

Old 09-15-2013, 04:16 PM
InfO
Veteran

Originally Posted by clipper77
You got it.

Cut the bolt or drop the receiver.

I opted to leave the receiver in place and install in reverse, like you are planning to do.

Works great!
Not gonna lie, glad I saw your post since I was worried I'd come back, put up my post and suddenly see a "NO DON'T!" ;o)

Old 09-15-2013, 05:03 PM
InfO
Veteran

Driver side is turning into a pain. Like everyone that has done this knows. I'm trying to avoid moving the fuel tank. I've got the shackle bolt undone so the rear of the leaf is loose. I've cut the front bolt, but it will NOT budge. I've heated it, used a hammer, used an air chisel, no joy. It is not moving at all.

Old 09-15-2013, 05:22 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

Got a sawzall? Get between the spring, and the mount, and shave the bolt. Pull the spring out, and knock anything that is left in the frame side mount out. I don't recommend trying to cut them with the torch, don't wanna thrash the mounts.

Old 09-15-2013, 05:43 PM
InfO
Veteran

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Got a sawzall? Get between the spring, and the mount, and shave the bolt. Pull the spring out, and knock anything that is left in the frame side mount out. I don't recommend trying to cut them with the torch, don't wanna thrash the mounts.
Hmmm.... I'm going to look. I have a sawsall, but I am not sure if I have metal blades.

I also have an angle grinder with cutting blade and an air cutter (not sure if that is the term?) with cutting blade. Yeah, I'll just cut the **** out of it.

Random question for those willing... looks like the bushings are utterly thrashed from years of abuse. I don't see a "shackle" bushing out there an an option, but I can pick up shackles for $27.73 with no tax/shipping from Amazon. I'm thinking of picking them up unless anyone thinks it's a waste?

Dorman 722-022 Leaf Spring Shackle : Amazon.com : Automotive Dorman 722-022 Leaf Spring Shackle : Amazon.com : Automotive

Oh, and as always - thanks for the input!

InfO.

Old 09-15-2013, 05:45 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

Should be leaf spring bushings available in various selected materials.... might even be able to pick them up at your local auto parts store. Having good bushings in there makes them quieter, and ride nicer. (well, as nice as a truck gets......)

Old 09-15-2013, 06:35 PM
InfO
Veteran

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Should be leaf spring bushings available in various selected materials.... might even be able to pick them up at your local auto parts store. Having good bushings in there makes them quieter, and ride nicer. (well, as nice as a truck gets......)
The new leaf springs have bushings already in them, so the kit doesn't have any. I'll look around, but being in NB... likely not.

Thanks for the tips, dropped the driver side leaf. So both leafs are out, now I can take some time and wire brush the axle clean prior to priming and painting.

InfO.

Edit: What have I learned so far about my truck... don't waste time trying to PB and wrench, just torch and/or cut it.

Quick Reply: Leaf Spring Eye Bolts