2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Weird A/C Issue?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 02:56 PM
JeremyMichael
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie SRT

Old 10-13-2013, 04:51 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Does the compressor turn on and stay running when the ac is on?

Old 10-13-2013, 06:53 PM
JeremyMichael
Professional

Yes, but the clutch wont engage, today it went out, and I hooked the system up, the clutch didnt kick in and the low side read high, and the high side read low, but then again, yes again a second attempt, the compressor clutch kicked in and the levels in the system read at the optimal levels for cold air? Why when it wont kick on would the low/high read as high and low pressure, but when the clutch engages, it read's as optimal levels?

Old 10-13-2013, 07:26 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,208 Likes on 2,959 Posts

When the compressor isn't running, pressures will tend to equalize. There is a restriction in the line (expansion tube, or, orfice tube) so it doesn't happy immediately, but, should be pretty much equal within a few minutes.

If the clutch kicks out, you have an electrical problem somewhere. Either the relay is going bad, or one of the switches, are the wiring in between.

Old 10-13-2013, 07:44 PM
JeremyMichael
Professional

Well I have swapped out relay switches and it still doesn't kick on, I am about to test the power to the wires attached to the compressor itself when the car is on, if they all test good with power getting to them, and also the low pressure switch and the relay is still good, what should I check next?

Last edited by JeremyMichael; 10-13-2013 at 07:47 PM.
Old 10-13-2013, 08:06 PM
JeremyMichael
Professional

Okay....I may have faulty wiring? I took the two plugs off of the compressor and tested them, and the low pressure one too, the low pressure had power to it, but with the compressor plugs unplugged and the car both first tried just key turned over, then truck turned on, none of the plug's showed signs of power except the low pressure sensor???? Could this cause the intermittent clutch engaging and not engaging issues? A bad plug or wiring?

Old 10-14-2013, 12:14 AM
JeremyMichael
Professional

Sorry to triple post, but maybe I can explain things clearer. What on the compressor am i supposed to look at to see if the clutch has engaged? When the car is on and air is on max, when the a/c is not cold, everything in the center of the compressor pully is spinning, nothing is still, and the same goes for when it is cold.

When the a/c is working and blowing cold, from inside the cab I hear an audible click, and no click when it's not, there is always a slight humming coming from the compressor when it's on. Even when I hear the audible click, I see no difference in the center of the compressor pully, it's still all spinning.

When the a/c doesn't work and I don't hear the audible click, with the truck off, the low pressure valve reads high, and the high pressure valve reads low, turn the truck on, if the click isn't heard it reads the same, and everything in the compressor pully is spinning, like the clutch engaged, but I just didn't hear an audible click.

Now, when the a/c does work and blows cold air, the pressure gauges read as right on the near edge of low and full for the low end, and right on the edge of needs service and full for the high end, could that mean when the a/c actually kicks on I may need to add just a little r134a? Or is it probably a bigger issue?

When I say right on the line I mean it rides the line, its neither in the full or empty line, it's right on the divide, could this be the reason for the problem? If so I am confused as to why when the a/c is either off, or not working, the pressure gauges reads as low is high, and high is low, meaning in the gauges terms the compressor may be clogged? But when it's working and I hear the click, it reads right on the line.

Again though, working or not working, when i look at the center of the pully everything in the center is spinning and working, it's just the air isn't cold if I don't hear the click. When there is no click, it isn't hot air, or super cold, but it seems to be a (tad) cold.

Last edited by JeremyMichael; 10-14-2013 at 12:35 AM.
Old 10-14-2013, 12:52 AM
beeker
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JeremyMichael
Sorry to triple post, but maybe I can explain things clearer. What on the compressor am i supposed to look at to see if the clutch has engaged? When the car is on and air is on max, when the a/c is not cold, everything in the center of the compressor pully is spinning, nothing is still, and the same goes for when it is cold.

When the a/c is working and blowing cold, from inside the cab I hear an audible click, and no click when it's not, there is always a slight humming coming from the compressor when it's on. Even when I hear the audible click, I see no difference in the center of the compressor pully, it's still all spinning.

When the a/c doesn't work and I don't hear the audible click, with the truck off, the low pressure valve reads high, and the high pressure valve reads low, turn the truck on, if the click isn't heard it reads the same, and everything in the compressor pully is spinning, like the clutch engaged, but I just didn't hear an audible click.

Now, when the a/c does work and blows cold air, the pressure gauges read as right on the near edge of low and full for the low end, and right on the edge of needs service and full for the high end, could that mean when the a/c actually kicks on I may need to add just a little r134a? Or is it probably a bigger issue?

When I say right on the line I mean it rides the line, its neither in the full or empty line, it's right on the divide, could this be the reason for the problem? If so I am confused as to why when the a/c is either off, or not working, the pressure gauges reads as low is high, and high is low, meaning in the gauges terms the compressor may be clogged? But when it's working and I hear the click, it reads right on the line.

Again though, working or not working, when i look at the center of the pully everything in the center is spinning and working, it's just the air isn't cold if I don't hear the click. When there is no click, it isn't hot air, or super cold, but it seems to be a (tad) cold.
Center of the compressor is called the clutch, if it's spinning that means it's working, it should click on and off as it regulates the temperature so it doesn't freeze too cold. When it clicks off the center(clutch) will stop spinning. Does it spin with ac off engine on? it shouldn't. I don't know if were talking about the same click, only click should be the sound of the clutch engaging and disengaging, nothing else. You may be low on refrigerant if its not cold and clutch is spinning but you should notice a slight temp drop even if its low and still engages. It won't spin at all if it's too low on refrigerant. where's the click coming from? in the cab or engine bay?
Some of these aren't too easy, I would read the free Factory service manual to get a better understanding of how the system works and trouble shooting procedures.

There shouldn't be a whine coming from the compressor, might be something to look closer at.

Last edited by beeker; 10-14-2013 at 12:56 AM.
Old 10-14-2013, 01:21 AM
JeremyMichael
Professional

Originally Posted by beeker
Center of the compressor is called the clutch, if it's spinning that means it's working, it should click on and off as it regulates the temperature so it doesn't freeze too cold. When it clicks off the center(clutch) will stop spinning. Does it spin with ac off engine on? it shouldn't. I don't know if were talking about the same click, only click should be the sound of the clutch engaging and disengaging, nothing else. You may be low on refrigerant if its not cold and clutch is spinning but you should notice a slight temp drop even if its low and still engages. It won't spin at all if it's too low on refrigerant. where's the click coming from? in the cab or engine bay?
Some of these aren't too easy, I would read the free Factory service manual to get a better understanding of how the system works and trouble shooting procedures.

There shouldn't be a whine coming from the compressor, might be something to look closer at.
I believe from the engine compartment, I occasionally hear a click that sounds like it's in the cab, so I know I'm definitely looking at the right pully, are there any picks of the clutch in a 2nd gen dodge?

Old 10-14-2013, 01:28 AM
beeker
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes in the free Factory Service Manual
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...e-manuals.html

Quick Reply: Weird A/C Issue?