2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Should I tow this?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 10:10 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

Is that combined weight? I seriously doubt that the S-10, and trailer, are going to weight 9000 pounds.... throw your truck into the mix though, and yeah.... gonna be over.

Old 12-26-2013, 11:10 AM
Thornloe Pride
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah that's total combined weight with the truck and stewie01, the hard part is I'm going downtown Ottawa and there's lots of scales out that way. In order to get a sticker I would need to re-certify the truck or use another and pay for the sticker. I think it's good for 3 months. A lot of hassle involved :\

Old 12-26-2013, 11:21 AM
Thornloe Pride
Captain

Tomorrow I am going to call around and get a towing quote from a few places. It's going to cost me around $500 to go there myself so if its like $800 I'll do it. Once it's here I'm okay it's just getting it here.

Old 12-26-2013, 11:30 AM
MaxPower1971
Professional

I'm gonna take a wild guess and say you're in the North Bay-ish area?? If you come down the old 17, not too many scales, especially past supper time....Regular cops won't know the difference, it's the MOT you gotta watch out for...but they are very rarely seen after 8pm. That's how I rolled when I had ''iffy'' loads to haul thru ON.

If you can get a hold of a car hauler out of QUEBEC, (Gatineau area), they are likely to be legal and cheap enough to haul it up for you.

OR

Try looking for a trucking outfit with a drop deck.... Lots of them around Ottawa...But my best estimate would be about 1000 to 1250$.

Old 12-26-2013, 04:28 PM
JSTMoto
Veteran

Originally Posted by rdculus
When flat towing you can let the vehicle being towed run in neutral, that will allow the transmission to circulate fluid through the cooler to prevent overheating as heyyou advised.
It's not ideal for regular towing of course, but if you don't feel comfortable connecting disconnecting the driveshaft it's an option.
My guess is idling for 7 hrs wouldnt burn more than 20-30 dollars in fuel.
Is the other truck in running condition? Maybe take a friend and have them drive the other truck back if possible?
Good luck and merry christmas
Originally Posted by HeyYou
That's just the trouble though, when flat towed in neutral, the trans pump is NOT running, and you will smoke the trans in relatively short order.
HeyYou,

I think what rdculus was saying is that you start the engine of the vehicle being towed, put it in neutral and tow it with the engine running at idle speed and transmission in neutral the entire time. Thus, it does circulate fluid. Took me a re-read.

I wonder if such a process will work? Surely the cost of gas to just let the engine idle for a short trip shouldn't be too bad. Obviously, it depends on the health of the vehicle being towed, you wouldn't want the engine to die half way and not realize it! Lots of variables here...

Old 12-26-2013, 10:53 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

Originally Posted by JSTMoto
HeyYou,

I think what rdculus was saying is that you start the engine of the vehicle being towed, put it in neutral and tow it with the engine running at idle speed and transmission in neutral the entire time. Thus, it does circulate fluid. Took me a re-read.

I wonder if such a process will work? Surely the cost of gas to just let the engine idle for a short trip shouldn't be too bad. Obviously, it depends on the health of the vehicle being towed, you wouldn't want the engine to die half way and not realize it! Lots of variables here...
Valid point, and yes indeed, that would work. I agree with your other points as well.

Old 12-27-2013, 04:13 PM
army_greywolf
Professional

I've done that on a ram...so damn cold I couldn't break the bolts loose on the driveshaft yoke so we just started it up and put it in neutral then I popped the rod off the trans so it couldn't shift accidentally. Flat towed with a tow bar, 300 miles no problem at all.

Old 12-27-2013, 05:11 PM
Thornloe Pride
Captain

Originally Posted by MaxPower1971
I'm gonna take a wild guess and say you're in the North Bay-ish area?? If you come down the old 17, not too many scales, especially past supper time....Regular cops won't know the difference, it's the MOT you gotta watch out for...but they are very rarely seen after 8pm. That's how I rolled when I had ''iffy'' loads to haul thru ON.
Yup I'm about an hour north of North Bay. Nice to see a local on here. Thanks for the advice that's what I'll probably end of doing.

The owner measured the front diff and it's 68" wheel mount to wheel mount. My dolly can fit 78" max so unless I can find some skinny *** tires I'm out of luck there. And can't tow it with a trailer unless I go to the MOT and get legalized. I would need another safety certification, an e-test and about $300 for the sticker. And here I thought as long as the vehicle could tow it, you were okay.. Nope, there's a lot more to it than that. Ontario laws suck. Out of ideas at the moment. Not sure on the laws of using a tow bar.

Old 12-27-2013, 05:22 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's a lot less strict done here in the states. If you have a trailer that is legal you can tow it. If you get pulled over for some reason and they weigh you and your way over weight well, that's a different story

Old 12-27-2013, 05:41 PM
Thornloe Pride
Captain

Originally Posted by Ham Bone
It's a lot less strict done here in the states. If you have a trailer that is legal you can tow it. If you get pulled over for some reason and they weigh you and your way over weight well, that's a different story
Here it doesn't matter if you have a Dakota or a 1 ton dually cummins, combined truck/loaded trailer weight cannot exceed 4500kg (9900lbs) unless you get a yellow sticker. It's just a money grab. You can get a sticker for 3 months, 6 months and yearly I believe. AND.. Even if you have the yellow sticker but you havent upgraded the registration of the vehicle to a higher weight (higher fee) than you are still illegal. Stupid eh? I know LOTS of people that have towed way more than 4500kg illegally and got away with it but its just if the MOT suspects you to be overweight and you are, they'll throw the book at you.