2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

What Do I Have To Fix Now?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 09:16 PM
ChillyPhil
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What Do I Have To Fix Now?

If getting tired of this.. I just got a new battery and was all happy my truck started in a millisecond. That problem was solved. Tonight a new one came about.

My truck acts like it's goin in limp mode now. I recorded a video so hopefully it works. All help is appreciated.

Old 01-17-2014, 09:25 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I can't watch the vid can you describe the problem? Dial up sucks for this kinda thing. Someone will post up soon that can watch it I am sure of that.

Old 01-17-2014, 09:52 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

It downshifts, accelerates some, downshifts again, and starts bouncing off the rev-limiter.

Check TV cable adjustment.......

Old 01-17-2014, 09:59 PM
Moochoff
Veteran

Originally Posted by HeyYou
It downshifts, accelerates some, downshifts again, and starts bouncing off the rev-limiter.

Check TV cable adjustment.......
I didn't think tv cable had anything to do with the OD shift? I thought that was a pcm function determined by rpm, accelerator, and wheel speed?

Jake

Old 01-17-2014, 10:16 PM
ChillyPhil
All Star

I honestly don't know where to start looking. My SCT is put back to stock with 195* tstat for winter. And I just got that new battery.

It only happens when I push the pedal to the ground. My truck always did this besides the part that it seems like it's bouncing off the limiter.

Is there a specific place/position the tv cable should be?

Old 01-17-2014, 10:36 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Only does it when floored? AH HA!

A common issue with the 46RE trans, is at WOT, the pressure sensor gets overwhelmed, and starts sending the wrong signals to the PCM, therefore, the pcm makes the trans do stupid stuff. When it starts doing that kind of thing, test this theory by letting off the go-pedal some, and see if it will then shift as it should.

TV cable can drop you out of overdrive. Of course, at WOT, you won't ever hit O/D in any event. (so far as I know.)

Old 01-17-2014, 10:38 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks HeyYou for the description

What about changing the tps. Got a spare one?

Old 01-18-2014, 07:45 AM
ChillyPhil
All Star

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Only does it when floored? AH HA!

A common issue with the 46RE trans, is at WOT, the pressure sensor gets overwhelmed, and starts sending the wrong signals to the PCM, therefore, the pcm makes the trans do stupid stuff. When it starts doing that kind of thing, test this theory by letting off the go-pedal some, and see if it will then shift as it should.

TV cable can drop you out of overdrive. Of course, at WOT, you won't ever hit O/D in any event. (so far as I know.)
Yeah but the thing is it never did this before. And yes, only when I floor it. When I put it to the floor to start off, it shifts into passing gear then like 5 seconds later it'll do that over revving thing.

Originally Posted by merc225hp
Thanks HeyYou for the description

What about changing the tps. Got a spare one?
I don't but can get one off RockAuto here next weekend. I'm so broke because of my jaw surgery and getting my fourwheeler ready for April it isn't funny. It's even past it's service date.

This one fine? http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...016&cc=1095735

Old 01-18-2014, 08:04 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Doesn't talk about application in the link.... If that's where it led you though, yep.

Old 01-18-2014, 09:32 AM
ChillyPhil
All Star

There was a few of them that came up but this one said:

STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS Part # TH190T T-Series; Includes: Throttle Position Sensor

Hopefully when I get that next week it will fix that problem. I drive this thing like a grandpa and it still acts up on me.