2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

new!! help me 4x4!

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 08:39 PM
tyler22
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new!! help me 4x4!

I'm new to this site and 4x4 but just bought a 2000dodge ram 1500 Laramie and 4x4 not working.I have a shifter on floor with 4 lo neutral 2hi and 4hi.it will let me push the shifter forward into 4lo anytime but nothing changes.cannot pull shifter back past neutral anytime.. tryed rolling in neutral reverse etc.can someone please explain what to trouble shoot or how 4x4 works on this vehicle. Also It kinda drives like I am in 4 wheel and can't go over 70. And when I accelerate my air stops blowing. Please helppppp

Old 02-24-2014, 08:40 PM
tyler22

2000 4x4 transfer case new

Old 02-24-2014, 09:22 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

I'm going to move your post to the 2nd gen ram section. You will get more response there, they the new member section.

Old 02-24-2014, 09:25 PM
tyler22

Originally Posted by master tech
I'm going to move your post to the 2nd gen ram section. You will get more response there, they the new member section.
thx dk what Im doin

Old 02-24-2014, 09:52 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

To shift into/out of 4lo, you must be moving less then 3 mph, and NOT be on the gas. (driveline unloaded.) If that doesn't want to work, stop, put the trans in neutral, and shut off the engine. Then shift back into hi range.

You should be able to shift into/out of 4hi pretty much whenever you want. (within reason...... like, below 55 mph.....)

Do NOT use 4x4 (any range.) on dry pavement. You will break stuff.

Should be a lite in the dash that indicates the front axle is locked. Is that coming on?

Old 02-24-2014, 10:03 PM
tyler22

Originally Posted by HeyYou
To shift into/out of 4lo, you must be moving less then 3 mph, and NOT be on the gas. (driveline unloaded.) If that doesn't want to work, stop, put the trans in neutral, and shut off the engine. Then shift back into hi range.

You should be able to shift into/out of 4hi pretty much whenever you want. (within reason...... like, below 55 mph.....)

Do NOT use 4x4 (any range.) on dry pavement. You will break stuff.

Should be a lite in the dash that indicates the front axle is locked. Is that coming on?
It lets me shift into 4 lo at any time even in park or moving.. the front propeller shaft is moving with the drive shaft when the shifter is either in 2 hi or neutral can't tell.
And it wasent till I bought the truck I noticed that someone taped over all the in dash lights on inside of cluster so I can't see them

Old 02-24-2014, 10:09 PM
tyler22

Originally Posted by tyler22
It lets me shift into 4 lo at any time even in park or moving.. the front propeller shaft is moving with the drive shaft when the shifter is either in 2 hi or neutral can't tell.
And it wasent till I bought the truck I noticed that someone taped over all the in dash lights on inside of cluster so I can't see them
And to clarify when I say it lets me shift into 4lo I mean the shifter goes to the 4 lo spot but nothing changes driving

Old 02-24-2014, 10:21 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

That's not a good sign.

There should be a NOTICEABLE difference in engine speed vs. road speed in 4 lo. If it doesn't grind, or make other odd noises, then it probably simply isn't working.

Pull the tape off the dash, and see what lites are on. The front axle may be locking in, but, I suspect the t-case is not.

You may have multiple problems going on there. Have a read of the plenum sticky at the top of this forum as well. My guess is, that's a contributing factor to only being able to go about 70.

Old 02-24-2014, 10:50 PM
tyler22

Originally Posted by HeyYou
That's not a good sign.

There should be a NOTICEABLE difference in engine speed vs. road speed in 4 lo. If it doesn't grind, or make other odd noises, then it probably simply isn't working.

Pull the tape off the dash, and see what lites are on. The front axle may be locking in, but, I suspect the t-case is not.

You may have multiple problems going on there. Have a read of the plenum sticky at the top of this forum as well. My guess is, that's a contributing factor to only being able to go about 70.
Thanks ill try and do some more research and read around and post again

Old 02-25-2014, 05:03 PM
Rescue35
Professional

Get under the truck and check the linkagefrom the shifter to the tcase. Have someone operate the shifter and see what happens.