2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transmission has a metallic Clicking Noise and front seal leak after Sitting

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 11:24 PM
carcollector
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission has a metallic Clicking Noise and front seal leak after Sitting

My truck has been parked over six months. it fired right up but was low on trans fluid. I added some and drove it and before I could get to a store it started slipping and acting up so I stopped and noticed a fluid leak between the engine and trans. I got it to a store a block away and ended up putting 3 quarts in. that three quarts didnt last long and by the time I got home it was slipping and just pouring out at a stop. I let it cool down and restarted it to see if it was still pouring out... it was a steady stream after a few seconds but it had stopped basically when engine was shut off

I revved the motor and was hearing a metallic clicking which I thought was the motor failing too, but chased the noise to the trans area near the bell housing, (I think)

I am sure it needs a front shaft seal, but how bad could it be? I have heard of the converter bushing causing problems, and front pump seals leaking but it pulled good with fluid in it.

I am more concerned about the NOISE and whether the trans is worth saving or should I replace it with a junk yard unit if I can find one ??????????

or can I just pop a seal in it, tighten the bands and hope for the best?

Im only gonna try pulling the trans once because it will happen in my driveway and I dont have time or $$$ to invest in it otherwise

Last edited by carcollector; 03-13-2014 at 11:26 PM.
Old 03-13-2014, 11:26 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,275 Likes on 3,022 Posts

Trans needs to come out. Front seal is gone, either that, or the torque converter/pump...... Drop the pan, see if there is anything interesting in there, if there is, it's rebuild time.

Old 03-13-2014, 11:34 PM
drtydn
Rookie

hey,
like ive said before im in the process of restoring my truck.... i was a mechanic in the army, but never had a chance to rebuild a transmission (quicker to replace than rebuild).... im sure my transmission has never been done, and i dont want top wait till it needs to be done. i figure this is a chance to learn (ill have money to get a new one just in case) my question is; with little to no transmission knowlage, will getting a 46rh manual help, and will it kick my butt trying?

Old 03-13-2014, 11:52 PM
carcollector

the trans was fine when it was parked.... I had a computer issue that I resolved by swapping it - thats why it was parked. I guess I will pull the pan this weekend, but what IF I find nothing?

what are the chances of it being JUST a shaft seal?

I would rather swap it than rebuild it - transmissions are only $150 at the junkyard here w/30day warranty

AND can I just slide the trans back by unbolting the crossmember and using a floor jack w/ wheels on bell housing?

I dont even want to Drop the trans on my driveway because I would have to get it back up all by myself

Old 03-13-2014, 11:54 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by drtydn
hey,
like ive said before im in the process of restoring my truck.... i was a mechanic in the army, but never had a chance to rebuild a transmission (quicker to replace than rebuild).... im sure my transmission has never been done, and i dont want top wait till it needs to be done. i figure this is a chance to learn (ill have money to get a new one just in case) my question is; with little to no transmission knowlage, will getting a 46rh manual help, and will it kick my butt trying?

Actually, we have several members that have rebuilt their transmissions, that had never been in one before. There is a Boatload of material on the web for it, including walkthrus, with pics. Only thing you need to have is a press for the 800 pound spring in the O/D unit..... most everything else, you can improvise. Check out the Trans thread by j415 in the faq section for some good links. Also, factory service manual is available for download there as well. (in the service manual thread, oddly enough. )

Old 03-13-2014, 11:57 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by carcollector
the trans was fine when it was parked.... I had a computer issue that I resolved by swapping it - thats why it was parked. I guess I will pull the pan this weekend, but what IF I find nothing?

what are the chances of it being JUST a shaft seal?

I would rather swap it than rebuild it - transmissions are only $150 at the junkyard here w/30day warranty

AND can I just slide the trans back by unbolting the crossmember and using a floor jack w/ wheels on bell housing?

I dont even want to Drop the trans on my driveway because I would have to get it back up all by myself
Floor jack, and a board. Balance it on the pan. have a friend help you.

Junkyard trans is a gamble..... you *might* be able to get away with just replacing the seal. Pull the pan, see what you find, decide from there.

Old 03-14-2014, 12:23 AM
drtydn
Rookie

i meant a rebuild manual for the transmission.... not the completeservice manual. and what kind of press are we talking for the OD?

Old 03-14-2014, 11:07 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

The spring is 800 pounds pressure.... so, some variety of shop press. Either that, or some creative engineering.

Service manual also has trans service in it.

Old 03-15-2014, 10:49 AM
carcollector

800lbs???????????????????????????????????????????? ??????????????????????

Old 03-15-2014, 11:01 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Takes 800 pounds to compress the spring one inch. The spring does not weigh 800 pounds.

Quick Reply: Transmission has a metallic Clicking Noise and front seal leak after Sitting