2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

96 Ram stalls and won't start. Strange noise.

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 10:42 PM
torxdurley
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please read my edit from my previous post

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Yep, will it stay running? Or just burn off the starting fluid, and quit?
If I hold my mouth right and pump the gas pedal, it will remain running with the ether.

Old 05-26-2014, 10:45 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,269 Likes on 3,016 Posts

So if you don't keep feeding it, it quits. But, fuel pressure is still good.

Replace the cam position sensor. It's under the distributor cap. Some places call it pick-up coil.

Old 05-26-2014, 11:07 PM
torxdurley
Rookie
Default Technical Abilities

<p>The truck will start with the starting fluid, but it will not idle. I have to drive it immediately, and use brake and gas pedals to keep it running. Do you think that replacing the part you mentioned in your previous thread is my next best step?</p>

I did finally get a code when I was trying to start my truck unsuccessfully.
It was P1391. Its only happened once out of 25 unsuccessful times to start. It may be an erroneous code and it showed up as a pending code and never turned on the CIL.
Any significance?

Last edited by torxdurley; 05-27-2014 at 01:52 AM. Reason: add info
Old 05-26-2014, 11:09 PM
torxdurley
Rookie
Default Tech Savvy

HeyYou,
Do you think that my technical abilities may be exhausted?
Put me near a computer, server, network router,switch or firewall, and I can slug it out with the best in the land.
My last practical automotive skills were rebuilding and rewiring a 1976 Ford Mustang II whose engine and everything else in the engine compartment was destroyed by fire. That was in 79.

Old 05-27-2014, 10:12 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

P1391 is loss of cam/crank position sensor signal. That is completely in line with your symptoms. Since the truck has spark, I would go ahead and replace the cam sensor. It's *fairly* easy....... just fun to get under the dist cap.

Old 05-27-2014, 05:59 PM
torxdurley
Rookie

P1391 is loss of cam/crank position sensor signal. That is completely in line with your symptoms. Since the truck has spark, I would go ahead and replace the cam sensor. It's *fairly* easy....... just fun to get under the dist cap.
Hello HeyYou,
Thanks for the quick reply. I'll pick one up on the way home. My manual doesn't show where the distributor is located on 96 Ram 1500 6cyl. 3.9L. I hate to ask a dumb question but can you tell me where its located. I ask because if it's too far out of the way, my disability will mean calling in the reserves to give me some help.
thanks
Torx Durley

Old 05-27-2014, 06:52 PM
torxdurley
Rookie
Default location is everything

I think i found it behind and below the throttle body

Old 05-27-2014, 07:52 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by torxdurley
I think i found it behind and below the throttle body
That's be it, right behind that huge intake manifold, where it is nearly impossible to get to.... might be easier with the six, but, I am not going to hold my breath.

Old 05-27-2014, 08:19 PM
torxdurley
Rookie
Default Aliens?

That's be it, right behind that huge intake manifold, where it is nearly impossible to get to.... might be easier with the six, but, I am not going to hold my breath.
Was this engine compartment designed by aliens who have 10' arms with cameras on them?
This will be hard for my ambidextrous double-jointed friend that can levitate for 10-15 minutes at a time!
Should I just build a trapeze and lower my 200 lbs into the engine? There's got to be an easy way to reach this.
On the bright side, I found and repaired a Freon leak, so I can sit in the driveway and listen to the ballgame until my truck dies.LOL

Old 05-27-2014, 08:25 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by torxdurley
1.Was this engine compartment designed by aliens who have 10' arms with cameras on them?
This will be hard for my ambidextrous double-jointed friend that can levitate for 10-15 minutes at a time!
2.Should I just build a trapeze and lower my 200 lbs into the engine?
3.There's got to be an easy way to reach this.
On the bright side, I found and repaired a Freon leak, so I can sit in the driveway and listen to the ballgame until my truck dies.LOL
1. Yes. But of course, now that you know, the dodge police are going to have to kill you.

2. That might work.... all the blood rushing to your head might be a bit of a problem though.....

3. Yes, there is. Pull the motor.

It's not as bad as the fords..... When they first came out with the 'new' design..... they eventually started showing up at the shop. One lady wanted her plugs changed, as it was that time. I looked it up in the labor time guide.... 3.5 hours..... SAY WHAT???? Seriously? Then I looked under the hood, and that actually became reasonable.....

Quick Reply: 96 Ram stalls and won't start. Strange noise.