2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Best upgrades for 46re

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 02:51 AM
zach01
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wh1t3NuKle
You can put 47re parts into a 46re.

Do you have the tow package? Do you have auxiliary cooler(s)? Have you flushed the cooler portion of the radiator or replaced it? Did all those 4 trannies come from a reman or just junk yard?

How is everything else running? Any vibes? Sorry, just seems alot of trannies!?!?!?

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...nsmission.html

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...-progress.html

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...info-only.html

Couple threads

I'm of no further help.
Basicly long story short is 3 days after I bought the truck in 2007 the tranny went out do the dealer replaced it then about 40,000 miles later I had a shop do a tranny filter and flush and went they used there t-tech machine for the flush the tech used regular dex so the tranny I'm guessing got hot and after a month it wouldn't go into gear. So after serving them papers they ended up paying for it to be rebuilt at the shop I picked. Them all was good for a couple years and after buying a 32ft camp trailer the tranny didn't like pulling the passes in washington. And got stuck on Stevens pass with no forwards gears. So I had it towed back to my tranny place and it got to hot they said after tearing it apart. So I upgraded the tranny cooler put a temp gague in and new heavy duty rad. And had it rebuilt well it lost reverse and I've been reading the fourms and just want a clear answer. Wat are the key parts I need to upgrade when I have it rebuilt. This go around I'm making sure everything including all the hard parts are replaced and would like to beef it up a bit. It's no longer my daily driver I have a 2012 ram 3500 diesel I pull with. But this 01 is my baby I got when I was 16 so I'm keeping it till i die.

Old 08-17-2014, 06:09 AM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have the time and money needed then stick with the 5spd swap

Old 08-17-2014, 10:27 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,275 Likes on 3,022 Posts

On page 6 of MonteC's thread, there is a list he put together for a member that regularly towed a 7000 pound trailer. Go with that list. (it's around 1000 bucks, JUST in parts, and includes a fair few heavy duty upgrades).

one of the BEST things you could do for your trans though, is to regear to 4.56. Or, go to 33" tires.

Old 08-17-2014, 10:19 PM
zach01
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Heyyou. And yea I want to regear but my 7500 dollars I saved you last year for air lockers and gears and Dana 80 rear end and new motor got spent on my down payment on my new cummins lol so now I gotta start over saving up. I been on df for years I had another profile then forgot the info on it buy you have been great home year after year.

Quick Reply: Best upgrades for 46re